Old 26-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?
Tansy. But fortunately I don't live there any more.

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is ineradicable. And likewise a creeping Hypericum. Viburnum tinus is likewise ineradicable. A laurel hedge that doesn't flower, and has to be pruned twice a year. Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over the place.

Of things I've planted myself, no mistakes quite that bad I think.

A creeping Euphorbia, spreads, but not too far.

A Ceanothus that got too big, but I'm hoping the stump won' tbe too bad to remove.

Jasminum officianalis, put in the wrong place.

Eleagnus x ebbingei. I'd have put something else there if I'd known it wouldn't flower for me. I suppose it only has to be pruned twice a year.

But my lemon balm and acanthus mollis are struggling, and the vinca major isn't too hard to control.
Old 27-03-2009, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

The message
from echinosum contains these words:
'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:

;835346']What plants have others regretted introducing into their
gardens?

Tansy. But fortunately I don't live there any more.

I planted some - several times, and it's always disappeared.

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful
stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is
ineradicable.

Nah. Just keep cutting it down and it *WILL* go.

And likewise a creeping Hypericum.

It's taken me years to establish it - it's something I remember from oh,
er - 1944, and at least I can *PRETEND* I'm that age again as I look at
it...

Viburnum tinus is
likewise ineradicable.

Oh, come on! (And why would you want to?)

A laurel hedge that doesn't flower, and has to
be pruned twice a year. Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its
seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over
the place.

Lovely bonsai subjects. I welcome them and pot them for later
root-pruning and 'arranging'.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

echinosum writes

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful
stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is
ineradicable.

I think I've go the same thing! Been trying to 'control' it for years,
and have decided total elimination is the only sensible possibility. And
now you tell me it's impossible :-(

And likewise a creeping Hypericum.

Not the big flowered Rose of Sharon? Been trying to remove that from a
japanese quince with no success.

Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its
seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over
the place.

What about the small horizontal cotoneaster? Now covering a 30ft of
wall, all from one tiny plant, and a constant battle to keep it on the
wall and not have it ramping across the rest of the garden.

Of things I've planted myself, no mistakes quite that bad I think.

A creeping Euphorbia, spreads, but not too far.

cyparissifolia (or somesuch)? - really pretty, fine leaves, 6inch stems,
yellow 'flowers', but creeps underground and comes up everywhere? Or
robbiae which does the same, but in magnification?

--
Kay