Old 26-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Registered User

Question Cybidium bulb

I have just been given a Cymbidium bulb, with no growing instructions - please, can anyone tell me how it should be propagated? Should it be grown in orchid compost? It is almost as big as the palm of my hand and very solid and heavy.
Thanks in advance, Jaycee
Old 26-03-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cybidium bulb

"jaycee" wrote in message

I have just been given a Cymbidium bulb, with no growing

instructions -
please, can anyone tell me how it should be propagated? Should it be
grown in orchid compost? It is almost as big as the palm of my hand
and very solid and heavy.
Thanks in advance, Jaycee

I think that these instructions will be ideal for your purposes:

http://tinyurl.com/cyraoc

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 26-03-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jaycee" wrote

I have just been given a Cymbidium bulb, with no growing instructions -
please, can anyone tell me how it should be propagated? Should it be
grown in orchid compost? It is almost as big as the palm of my hand
and very solid and heavy.
Thanks in advance, Jaycee

It should have roots and leaves and hopefully a young growth on it, they are
pseudobulbs not true bulbs. If it is just a bulb with no leaves and no
growth then act like an experienced Orchid grower and throw it on the
compost bin.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-03-2009, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
..... If it is just a bulb with no leaves and no
growth then act like an experienced Orchid grower and throw it on the
compost bin.

Oosh - a bit severe eh Bob? Back-bulb propagation, even when the bulb
is leafless and devoid of live roots is very possible and used to be
the main means of increasing stock prior to widespread meristem
culture. I've done it many times and have grown very nice specimens
from back bulbs. If they are the only material available, then you
have to go with what you've got. My preferred method was to take a
handful of sphagnum moss (real sphagnum, not any old moss) give it a
good soaking and then wring out excess water so that it is very
lightly moist. If no moss is available, lightly moist perlite is a
good alternative. Place it in a plastic bag, add the back-bulb, seal
the bag and place it in light shade in a cool greenhouse or cool place
indoors.

After a few months, new growth should develop from one or several of
the dormant buds at the base of the bulb and when about 10cms. long,
it can be potted into coarse grade orchid compost using the smallest
practicable sized container. The bulb needs careful watering,
allowing the compost to become slightly dry before giving a thorough
soak. This will encourage new roots to search for moisture. Once the
shoot is growing strongly, the back bulb can be treated as a normal
plant and with reasonable after care, can be expected to flower in 2 -
3 years.

Old 27-03-2009, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DaveP" wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

True, I was being a bit acidic, but it is not easy getting back pseudobulbs
to root/grow even for the experienced as your post shows. For the
inexperienced very difficult, and growing it on once you have some growth
isn't easy either.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-03-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

True, I was being a bit acidic, but it is not easy getting back pseudobulbs
to root/grow even for the experienced as your post shows. For the
inexperienced very difficult, and growing it on once you have some growth
isn't easy either.

I wouldn't consider this method particularly difficult, although you
do need patience and a basic understanding of how to encourage strong
root growth by cautious watering. My very first Cymbidium (Alexanderi
'Westonbirt') was given as a back bulb when I was about 11 years old.
Two growths arose from it and 5 years later it produced 4 spikes
carrying a total of 41 flowers - a sort of 'milestone' for me at the
time. It was divided regularly over the next 10 years and I had
plenty of stock to sell at the nursery. The OP has nothing to lose
and could end up with a satisfying plant - nothing ventured and all
that.