Old 29-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered User

Default Planter Help !

Hi
I have bought an indoor 70cm tall planter to go inside my conservatory, it's sealed & I don't really want to drill & put a plate underneath.

However I am now worried about how to use it !?? -
* How will I go about watering ? Won't the water pool at the botom while the plants at the to dry out ??
* Also should I line the planter to stop water corroding & slowly seeping through it ? If so how ?

Many thanks in advance, Pete
Old 29-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by respec24 View Post
Hi
I have bought an indoor 70cm tall planter to go inside my conservatory, it's sealed & I don't really want to drill & put a plate underneath.

However I am now worried about how to use it !?? -
* How will I go about watering ? Won't the water pool at the botom while the plants at the to dry out ??
* Also should I line the planter to stop water corroding & slowly seeping through it ? If so how ?

Many thanks in advance, Pete
Line the base with an impermeable film, then pour in a layer of gravel. It will hold any excess water, and also help to keep the pot stable.
Old 30-03-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from respec24 contains these words:

Hi
I have bought an indoor 70cm tall planter to go inside my conservatory,
it's sealed & I don't really want to drill & put a plate underneath.

However I am now worried about how to use it !?? -
* How will I go about watering ? Won't the water pool at the botom
while the plants at the to dry out ??
* Also should I line the planter to stop water corroding & slowly
seeping through it ? If so how ?

Many thanks in advance, Pete

Don't drill holes, you'll crack the plastic - I presume it *IS* plastic?

Heat a poker or large steel rod and poke it through the bottom.

You should provide drainage. You can buy 'plates' to go underneath.

--
Rusty
Old 30-03-2009, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beccabunga wrote:
respec24;835998 Wrote:
Hi
I have bought an indoor 70cm tall planter to go inside my conservatory,
it's sealed & I don't really want to drill & put a plate underneath.

However I am now worried about how to use it !?? -
* How will I go about watering ? Won't the water pool at the botom
while the plants at the to dry out ??
* Also should I line the planter to stop water corroding & slowly
seeping through it ? If so how ?

Many thanks in advance, Pete

Line the base with an impermeable film, then pour in a layer of gravel.
It will hold any excess water, and also help to keep the pot stable.

When you have done as beccabunga suggests, it might be of help to cut 3
strips of capillary matting (about 60 x 2 cm) and put the end of these in
the gravel. Then keep them upright as you fill the planter with soil.
These will distribute water from your gravel reservoir more efficiently than
the soil, helping ensure that the top of the soil keeps damp too.

--
Jeff

Old 30-03-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 29, 10:13*pm, respec24
wrote:
Hi
I have bought an indoor 70cm tall planter to go inside my conservatory,
it's sealed & I don't really want to drill & put a plate underneath.

However I am now worried about how to use it !?? -
* How will I go about watering ? Won't the water pool at the botom
while the plants at the to dry out ??
* Also should I line the planter to stop water corroding & slowly
seeping through it ? If so how ?

Many thanks in advance, Pete

All those problems! I'd take it back and get a refund.

Help Finding Swan Planter phoenix211984 Gardening 0 16-06-2007 05:45 PM
Planter boxes and ideas for limited space OhSojourner Gardening 4 25-04-2003 05:08 PM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
veges in a planter box Trish Brown Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Prunus caroliniana in a planter DAN Gardening 0 18-02-2003 10:03 PM