Old 30-03-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wildflower ID?

delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

Old 30-03-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Old 30-03-2009, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 30-03-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Greater Stitchwort aka Stellaria holostea and a common hedgerow 'weed'
that is a very superior cousin of the common chickweed or marginally
lesser cousin of the garden pink - make your choice. I like to see it
and it makes a nice, lowly boscage of pleasantly leafy stems topped
with rather showy white flowers at this time of year. It is very
obvious for a couple of weeks and then disappears into the the
undergrowth until the following spring.
Old 30-03-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Mar, 19:09, DaveP wrote:
Greater Stitchwort aka Stellaria holostea and a common hedgerow 'weed'
that is a very superior cousin of the common chickweed or marginally
lesser cousin of the garden pink - make your choice. *I like to see it
and it makes a nice, lowly boscage of pleasantly leafy stems topped
with rather showy white flowers at this time of year. *It is very
obvious for a couple of weeks and then disappears into the the
undergrowth until the following spring.

Nice picture but I always find it helps to see a leaf or two as well.
David Hill

Old 31-03-2009, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 7:09*pm, DaveP wrote:
Greater Stitchwort aka Stellaria holostea and a common hedgerow 'weed'
that is a very superior cousin of the common chickweed or marginally
lesser cousin of the garden pink - make your choice. *I like to see it
and it makes a nice, lowly boscage of pleasantly leafy stems topped
with rather showy white flowers at this time of year. *It is very
obvious for a couple of weeks and then disappears into the the
undergrowth until the following spring.

Agreed; if you pull a leaf away from the stem, it comes away with a
short "thread" of stem fibre; hence the name. Nice spring hedgerow
plant.

Old 31-03-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 10:10*am, Des Higgins wrote:
On Mar 30, 7:09*pm, DaveP wrote:

Greater Stitchwort aka Stellaria holostea and a common hedgerow 'weed'
that is a very superior cousin of the common chickweed or marginally
lesser cousin of the garden pink - make your choice. *I like to see it
and it makes a nice, lowly boscage of pleasantly leafy stems topped
with rather showy white flowers at this time of year. *It is very
obvious for a couple of weeks and then disappears into the the
undergrowth until the following spring.

Agreed; *if you pull a leaf away from the stem, it comes away with a
short "thread" of stem fibre; hence the name. *Nice spring hedgerow
plant.

Des!!! We don't see enough of you in here recently, how's your
gardening growing over the Water?

Judith
Old 30-03-2009, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing
the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a white campion. It looks like
something from the chickweed family to me.

Old 31-03-2009, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing
the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a white campion. It looks like
something from the chickweed family to me.

Mouseear is Cerastium spp, White Campion is Silene latifolia; both
belong to Caryophyllaceae (is that what you mean by chickweed family).
However I expect that Dave Poole's identification of it as Common
Stitchwort (also in Caryophyllaceae, and in the same genus as chickweed)
is correct.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing
the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers
than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a white campion. It looks like
something from the chickweed family to me.

Mouseear is Cerastium spp, White Campion is Silene latifolia; both belong
to Caryophyllaceae (is that what you mean by chickweed family).

No. I mean that White Campion is nothing like it. It's an upright plant
and the chickweeds creep.

Tina

Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Brown writes
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

Petals too deeply divided and too narrow for white campion. Same family
though. I'd go with the stitchwort identification.

--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/4/09 17:15, in article , "K"
wrote:

Kate Brown writes
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

Petals too deeply divided and too narrow for white campion. Same family
though. I'd go with the stitchwort identification.

And on Friday I did notice some in flower in a hedgerow near here. I
couldn't stop but it looked right.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-03-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "OG" contains these words:
" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

No pic came up...

--
Rusty
Old 31-03-2009, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Stitchwort, but without any scale, difficult to say whether it's greater
or lesser.

--
Rusty