Old 31-03-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wildflower ID?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I never knew that was the reason for the name - thank you! We get a lot in
the hedgerows here but I admit that without leaf and scale, I couldn't
recognise it. But it's not in flower now, surely? (Going out to have a
scout round!)

tin-hat

Certainly is. I have some in a planter, with violence and toad flack...

/tin-hat

--
Rusty
Old 31-03-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 12:47*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Des!!! *We don't see enough of you in here recently, how's your
gardening growing over the Water?

Ah, that reminds me, I think you sent me some ramsons a while back - I
can report that they like it here...

Many thanks again.

--

I grew your chillis for a few years (Jalapenos or Habeneros; cannot
remember); you sent me seed.

Rusty

Old 31-03-2009, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"OG" wrote in message

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing
the size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers
than other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Tentative ID withdrawn - I should have looked at the previous page!

Old 31-03-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Des Higgins contains these words:

I grew your chillis for a few years (Jalapenos or Habeneros; cannot
remember); you sent me seed.
They were good.

Want some more?

--
Rusty
Old 31-03-2009, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really must get in the habit of
taking a shot of the stem/leaves too but get carried away with the flower!

@Kate - yep, I haven't posted on the weather ng for a while but still lurk!

Old 31-03-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/3/09 20:31, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really must get in the habit of
taking a shot of the stem/leaves too but get carried away with the flower!

@Kate - yep, I haven't posted on the weather ng for a while but still lurk!

It's a beautiful photo re photo but it's just that leaves and general stuff
like that help with ID!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really must get in the habit of
taking a shot of the stem/leaves too but get carried away with the
flower!

@Kate - yep, I haven't posted on the weather ng for a while but still
lurk!

It's a beautiful photo re photo but it's just that leaves and general
stuff
like that help with ID!

Thanks Sacha!

Would you have any objection if a couple of us came to the nursery and took
some shots someday? We would spend something of course!!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/4/09 09:15, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 31/3/09 20:31, in article
, "cupra"
wrote:

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really must get in the habit of
taking a shot of the stem/leaves too but get carried away with the
flower!

@Kate - yep, I haven't posted on the weather ng for a while but still
lurk!

It's a beautiful photo re photo but it's just that leaves and general
stuff
like that help with ID!

Thanks Sacha!

Would you have any objection if a couple of us came to the nursery and took
some shots someday? We would spend something of course!!

Please do. People often come to take photographs or come here in groups to
paint. It would be lovely to see you so drop us a line at the Nursery
email address and let me know when you're coming. We'll look forward to
seeing you so I don't want to be out when you get here!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 1/4/09 09:15, in article , "cupra"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 31/3/09 20:31, in article
, "cupra"
wrote:

" cupra" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Sacha, will do! Probably be in a month or so....

Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

from Des Higgins contains these words:

I grew your chillis for a few years (Jalapenos or Habeneros; cannot
remember); you sent me seed.
They were good.

Want some more?

I don't know if you remember me, but you sent me some back in 04/05 and I
had some excellent crops year after year, however after my mother died and I
had to move house, I lost the dried seeds I'd been saving, although I did
keep a large bag of frozen ones, some of which I still have, but I've tried
umpteen times these past 3 weeks to germinate from the pre frozen ones
without success.

I know it's bare faced cheekery, but is there any possibility of me cadging
a few please? - I'll send you some stamps and an SAE to cover your costs?

TIA

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I know it's bare faced cheekery, but is there any possibility of me cadging
a few please? - I'll send you some stamps and an SAE to cover your costs?

I'll send you some - no need for sae.

Might be able to find some seeds of longer, milder chillis too.

--
Rusty
Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I know it's bare faced cheekery, but is there any possibility of me
cadging a few please? - I'll send you some stamps and an SAE to
cover your costs?

I'll send you some - no need for sae.

Might be able to find some seeds of longer, milder chillis too.

Thanks Rusty that would be great, I just wish I could buy you a pint and
thank you properly.

I'm sending you an email now with my details

Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Kate Brown" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, OG wrote

" cupra" wrote in message
delurks after a while

Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treetop...os/3398304087/

Many thanks!!

I'd put it as one of the Cerastium family (Mouse-ears). Without knowing
the
size it's hard to be definite, but Field Mouse-ear has larger flowers
than
other sp, at about 12-20mm diam

Hi cupra, another refugee from the weather group? I think it's a white
campion, myself. Is that the same as cerastium?

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a white campion. It looks like
something from the chickweed family to me.

Mouseear is Cerastium spp, White Campion is Silene latifolia; both belong
to Caryophyllaceae (is that what you mean by chickweed family).

No. I mean that White Campion is nothing like it. It's an upright plant
and the chickweeds creep.

Tina

Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 1, 6:18*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I know it's bare faced cheekery, but is there any possibility of me cadging
a few please? - I'll send you some stamps and an SAE to cover your costs?

I'll send you some - no need for sae.

Might be able to find some seeds of longer, milder chillis too.

--
Rusty

Thanks also, for the nice offer Rusty!! I am giving up on chillis for
now. Every year I try them and do them too late and they hardly get
going before it is Autumn. I am already 6 weeks late this year. I
should get them started in Feb, indoors and into greenhouse in April
or something like that. This year, I am just going to do tomatoes. I
have my eye on some Black Russian (cannot remember variety) among
others.

Des
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 9:22*am, Des Higgins wrote:
On Apr 1, 6:18*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

[...]

Doesn't Prince Charles grow those as well as black sprouts?
seriously, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Judith