Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lemon buds

On 2/4/09 00:39, in article ,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 1/4/09 22:46, in article
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Haven't tried it myself, Bob but I gather Vodka makes good Limoncello -
wonderful digestivo!

You are quite right, it's vodka not gin. However our friends in southern
France have brought us some "Eau de vie" as it's called there so the next
time we have a glut of lemons we will make limoncello properly.

That should be a perfect vehicle for lemon juice. ;-)) Er - when were you
considering another trip to Devon. Please could you email me your recipe?
Heaven knows we have enough lemons so I really must try to make it.

Try this:

Earl Mountbatten's recipe for lemon cordial. This was a state secret and
since Earl Mountbatten took no stimulants such as
alcohol, tea or coffee, the recipe was provided to hosts who were to
entertain him when his ship was in (usually) foreign
ports during the war.

3 lemons; 2 lbs granulated sugar; 4 rounded teaspoons citric acid; 2
rounded teaspoons tartaric acid; 1 rounded teaspoon Epsom salts; 1 quart
of water.

Thinly peel zest from lemons. Squeeze juice from the fruit and add to
the zest.

Boil the water and pour it over the sugar, citric acid, tartaric acid
and Epsom salts. Stir until dissolved, then add
the zest and juice.

Cover, and allow to steep for 24 hours.

Strain into bottles and keep refrigerated.

Apart from the Epsom Salts this sounds very like the recipe for Elderflower
cordial which I then dilute with sparkling water.
snip
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-04-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Apart from the Epsom Salts this sounds very like the recipe for Elderflower
cordial which I then dilute with sparkling water.

Then, I'd advise substituting ascorbic acid for the citric - you don't
get the distinctly lemoney flavour, then.

--
Rusty

Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

The two large plants I rescued last year have just gone out, they started
re leafing in January and are now looking very well, but no flower buds,
as I do not know the origins they may be grown from pips, the trunks are
about 3" in diameter and they stand about 7' high so if they are seed
grown how much longer before they are older enough to start fruiting?!

Bob flowerdew reckons 20 - 30 years from the pip.

However, I shall be grafting from already-fruiting trees onto my 5-foot
specimen, and expecting fruit on the grafted bits.

They have spent the last 15 years growing under a Clematis montana and
were not discovered untill this was removed so they are already older
than 15 years. (The owner of the Clematis montana wanted shot of them)

Well, any time now...

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:47:11 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

The two large plants I rescued last year have just gone out, they started
re leafing in January and are now looking very well, but no flower buds,
as I do not know the origins they may be grown from pips, the trunks are
about 3" in diameter and they stand about 7' high so if they are seed
grown how much longer before they are older enough to start fruiting?!

Bob flowerdew reckons 20 - 30 years from the pip.

I keep hearing that estimate but a pip my mother planted and kept in
the unheated greenhouse "only" took 14 years to flower and fruit.
Unfortunately she passed away before seeing the fruits.

Steve

Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 2/4/09 11:43, in article ,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Apart from the Epsom Salts this sounds very like the recipe for
Elderflower
cordial which I then dilute with sparkling water.

Then, I'd advise substituting ascorbic acid for the citric - you don't
get the distinctly lemoney flavour, then.

The recipe I have calls for tartaric acid but it can be hard to get hold of
because drug users use it to cut coke - think it's coke! So chemists look
suspiciously upon people asking for it, apparently. If I can't get it I use
the citric but I'll try your suggestion. I didn't make any last year and
there were loud complaints, so this has reminded me to ring the local
chemist, order the 'stuff' and watch out for the elderflowers. ;-)

I make it, but I use a quart of liquor made from soaking a gallon of
lightly packed elderflowers for 24 hours, a kilogram of sugar, 4
teaspoons of ascorbic acid, two of tartaric, and one of Epsom salts.
(the last adds that petit je ne sais wot)

I then put the finished stuff into smallish plastic bottles (250 ml or
smaller), leaving a good airspace, and freeze them.

Otherwise, it goes mouldy very quickly.

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stephen Wolstenholme contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

The two large plants I rescued last year have just gone out, they
started
re leafing in January and are now looking very well, but no flower buds,
as I do not know the origins they may be grown from pips, the trunks are
about 3" in diameter and they stand about 7' high so if they are seed
grown how much longer before they are older enough to start fruiting?!

Bob flowerdew reckons 20 - 30 years from the pip.

I keep hearing that estimate but a pip my mother planted and kept in
the unheated greenhouse "only" took 14 years to flower and fruit.
Unfortunately she passed away before seeing the fruits.

Shame.

You could be lucky. My tree is around four years old though, and (as I
*WILL* keep telling people) I'm seventy next year...

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/09 20:34, in article ,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 2/4/09 11:43, in article
,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:
[...]

A good way of freezing it is in those individual ice cube bags. One cube
makes a good dilution.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
meyer lemon dropping buds gonzo Gardening 6 27-01-2005 07:43 PM
meyer lemon dropping buds figaro Gardening 0 09-01-2005 05:57 AM