Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lemon buds

Some may remember my disappearing lemon. It never was found it but
things have moved on a bit. All the lemons have now dropped off. They
taste absolutely wonderful. Even the skins taste good. The trouble is
that all the leaves have dropped off as well. I'm sure that hasn't
happened at this time of year before.

There have been some tiny buds for two weeks but they don't look to be
growing. The tree is indoors in an unheated location.

Is this normal?

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote ...
Some may remember my disappearing lemon. It never was found it but
things have moved on a bit. All the lemons have now dropped off. They
taste absolutely wonderful. Even the skins taste good. The trouble is
that all the leaves have dropped off as well. I'm sure that hasn't
happened at this time of year before.

There have been some tiny buds for two weeks but they don't look to be
growing. The tree is indoors in an unheated location.

Is this normal?

Certainly not. Loss of leaves is down to overwatering or not watering or
frost damage. Only you can know which is the cause in your case.
Ours are already outside against their S. facing wall, I brought them back
in when a few degrees of frost was forecast last weekend but hopefully that
will be the last time this year they need protection.

BTW you can easily turn the Lemon skins into Limonchello although as we
can't get the rough pickling alcohol and have to use gin it tends to be
smoother (posher) than that the Italians make. If you want the instructions
just ask.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/4/09 18:26, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

Haven't tried it myself, Bob but I gather Vodka makes good Limoncello -
wonderful digestivo!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

,
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote:

Some may remember my disappearing lemon. It never was found it but
things have moved on a bit. All the lemons have now dropped off. They
taste absolutely wonderful. Even the skins taste good. The trouble is
that all the leaves have dropped off as well. I'm sure that hasn't
happened at this time of year before.

There have been some tiny buds for two weeks but they don't look to be
growing. The tree is indoors in an unheated location.

Is this normal?

Perfectly normal, for something that is dying...

Mike

Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
,
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote:

Some may remember my disappearing lemon. It never was found it but
things have moved on a bit. All the lemons have now dropped off. They
taste absolutely wonderful. Even the skins taste good. The trouble is
that all the leaves have dropped off as well. I'm sure that hasn't
happened at this time of year before.

There have been some tiny buds for two weeks but they don't look to be
growing. The tree is indoors in an unheated location.

Is this normal?

Perfectly normal, for something that is dying...

Mike

LOL .. Funny .. not sympathetic .. but funny.

Spider

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:51:36 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 1/4/09 16:37, in article ,
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote:

Some may remember my disappearing lemon. It never was found it but
things have moved on a bit. All the lemons have now dropped off. They
taste absolutely wonderful. Even the skins taste good. The trouble is
that all the leaves have dropped off as well. I'm sure that hasn't
happened at this time of year before.

There have been some tiny buds for two weeks but they don't look to be
growing. The tree is indoors in an unheated location.

Is this normal?

Steve

No, it should be putting out leaves and buds now if it's in the right place.
All ours are going great guns. It sounds as if it's either too wet or too
dry! How much have you been watering it and do you let it drain well and
almost entirely dry out between waterings? Also, how much light has it got
and is the unheated location frosty? They're okay kept frost-free and ours
even take some frost if not too prolonged but they're all in greenhouses and
get loads of light and scant watering. The fruits on a Citrus medica have
been there for weeks and it's only just about 3' tall.

That's what I was expecting to happen and that's what has happened in
previous years. It's just that this lemon plant is behaving strange.
It has been watered correctly. There may have been a couple of frosty
nights. It would be a great shame to lose this lemon as the fruits are
so tasty. Like normal lemons with a bit of sweetness. I've no idea
which variety it is so it will be difficult to replace.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd
www.NPSL1.com
Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Haven't tried it myself, Bob but I gather Vodka makes good Limoncello -
wonderful digestivo!

You need Polish pure Spirit at the very least, and serve it straight
from the freezer.

--
Rusty
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stephen Wolstenholme contains these words:

That's what I was expecting to happen and that's what has happened in
previous years. It's just that this lemon plant is behaving strange.
It has been watered correctly. There may have been a couple of frosty
nights. It would be a great shame to lose this lemon as the fruits are
so tasty. Like normal lemons with a bit of sweetness. I've no idea
which variety it is so it will be difficult to replace.

I'd keep it moist and in the shade for a while - I bought one recently
and it's behaving the same way.

--
Rusty
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Haven't tried it myself, Bob but I gather Vodka makes good Limoncello -
wonderful digestivo!

You are quite right, it's vodka not gin. However our friends in southern
France have brought us some "Eau de vie" as it's called there so the next
time we have a glut of lemons we will make limoncello properly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 1/4/09 22:46, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Haven't tried it myself, Bob but I gather Vodka makes good Limoncello -
wonderful digestivo!

You are quite right, it's vodka not gin. However our friends in southern
France have brought us some "Eau de vie" as it's called there so the next
time we have a glut of lemons we will make limoncello properly.

That should be a perfect vehicle for lemon juice. ;-)) Er - when were you
considering another trip to Devon. Please could you email me your recipe?
Heaven knows we have enough lemons so I really must try to make it.

Try this:

Earl Mountbatten's recipe for lemon cordial. This was a state secret and
since Earl Mountbatten took no stimulants such as
alcohol, tea or coffee, the recipe was provided to hosts who were to
entertain him when his ship was in (usually) foreign
ports during the war.

3 lemons; 2 lbs granulated sugar; 4 rounded teaspoons citric acid; 2
rounded teaspoons tartaric acid; 1 rounded teaspoon Epsom salts; 1 quart
of water.

Thinly peel zest from lemons. Squeeze juice from the fruit and add to
the zest.

Boil the water and pour it over the sugar, citric acid, tartaric acid
and Epsom salts. Stir until dissolved, then add
the zest and juice.

Cover, and allow to steep for 24 hours.

Strain into bottles and keep refrigerated.

---------------------------------------

I grate finely the zest rather than paring it, and I use a kilo of sugar
per quart of water.

For lime cordial, use four limes, but otherwise keep to the same recipe.

---------------------------------------

For the ancient among us who still have fond memories of wartime and
just after:

MoF orange juice I can supply - or at least provide destructions for.

Take: 4 thin-skinned oranges; 2½ lbs white sugar; 4 rounded teaspoons of
citric acid; 2 rounded teaspoons of tartaric acid; 1 rounded teaspoon of
Epsom salts crystals; one quart of water.

Destroy oranges and remove pips. Comminute in a food processor (or chop
small).

Put all ingredients into a stainless steel or enamel pan and place over
a *VERY* low heat.

Bring to the boil and maintain for two hours so that it is gently
turning-over, not bubbling.

Allow to cool a bit, then give it a long time in a liquidiser - in
relays, of course.

Bottle, and keep refrigerated.

(Or you can bring it back to the boil and put it into screwtop bottles,
and seal, when it should keep indefinitely.)

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
,
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote:

Some may remember my disappearing lemon. It never was found it but
things have moved on a bit. All the lemons have now dropped off. They
taste absolutely wonderful. Even the skins taste good. The trouble is
that all the leaves have dropped off as well. I'm sure that hasn't
happened at this time of year before.

There have been some tiny buds for two weeks but they don't look to be
growing. The tree is indoors in an unheated location.

Is this normal?

Perfectly normal, for something that is dying...

Mike

LOL .. Funny .. not sympathetic .. but funny.

Sorry, I was in a strange mood last night...

Mike

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 02:33 AM
meyer lemon dropping buds gonzo Gardening 6 27-01-2005 07:43 PM
meyer lemon dropping buds figaro Gardening 0 09-01-2005 05:57 AM