Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning, in general.

Today I have a gardener working for me for half a day, he did in 4
hours what would take me a week to do. He pruned a lot of stuff and I
asked him to prune the Lilac, which although beautiful, is obscuring
my view of the forest. He refused!! He said it was too late, it's
not in bud yet, would you say that was too late? I should add he does
this for a living, so maybe he knows much more than I.

Judith
Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes
Today I have a gardener working for me for half a day, he did in 4
hours what would take me a week to do. He pruned a lot of stuff and I
asked him to prune the Lilac, which although beautiful, is obscuring
my view of the forest. He refused!! He said it was too late, it's
not in bud yet, would you say that was too late? I should add he does
this for a living, so maybe he knows much more than I.

Judith

Lilac is a spring-flowering shrub (which flowers on the previous years
growth). If you were to prune it now you'd lose this years flowers. The
time to prune lilac is after it has flowered.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 10:27*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Judith in France writes

Today I have a gardener working for me for half a day, he did in 4
hours what would take me a week to do. *He pruned a lot of stuff and I
asked him to prune the Lilac, which although beautiful, is obscuring
my view of the forest. *He refused!! *He said it was too late, it's
not in bud yet, would you say that was too late? *I should add he does
this for a living, so maybe he knows much more than I.

Judith

Lilac is a spring-flowering shrub (which flowers on the previous years
growth). If you were to prune it now you'd lose this years flowers. The
time to prune lilac is after it has flowered.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thank you Stewart, a note has been made in the diary.

Judith
Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
Today I have a gardener working for me for half a day, he did in 4
hours what would take me a week to do. He pruned a lot of stuff and I
asked him to prune the Lilac, which although beautiful, is obscuring
my view of the forest. He refused!! He said it was too late, it's
not in bud yet, would you say that was too late? I should add he does
this for a living, so maybe he knows much more than I.

Judith

I would have said it was too early, Judith. It is usual to prune lilac
(Syringa) after flowering.

Spider

Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 10:25*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

Today I have a gardener working for me for half a day, he did in 4
hours what would take me a week to do. *He pruned a lot of stuff and I
asked him to prune the Lilac, which although beautiful, is obscuring
my view of the forest. *He refused!! *He said it was too late, it's
not in bud yet, would you say that was too late? *I should add he does
this for a living, so maybe he knows much more than I.

Judith

I would have said it was too early, Judith. *It is usual to prune lilac
(Syringa) after flowering.

Spider

Thanks Spider, it will be done afterwards then. I was hoping to take
some shots of the garden today to show, particularly, how late
everything is, some daffs are just coming into bud. Unfortunately
either I have a cold or I am allergic to the new hens, eyes streaming
sneezing and sore eyes. I only got one egg today, that makes 3 in 2
days, not bad going!.

Judith