Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brussels flowering

Brussels sprouts, I planted them last winter now they are little plants and
starting to flower. Surely that isn't right. Did I plant them too early?

--
Mark Hamer
www.another-way.co.uk

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hamer Family" wrote...
Brussels sprouts, I planted them last winter now they are little plants
and starting to flower. Surely that isn't right. Did I plant them too
early?

Yes. You plant Brussels seed about May time, as it says on the packet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you, plenty of time to start again then. You live and learn.

The seeds came over from a friend in France and it didn't say anything on
the packet about when to plant them. So I looked in a couple of books and
got conflicting info. So I just planted them.

I take it that the cold weather has affected them then.

--
Mark Hamer
www.another-way.co.uk

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!

"Hamer Family" wrote...

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Hamer Family" wrote...
Brussels sprouts, I planted them last winter now they are little plants
and starting to flower. Surely that isn't right. Did I plant them too
early?

Yes. You plant Brussels seed about May time, as it says on the packet.

I sow them in early March and then some more in late March as they do better
with a long season I find

Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Hamer Family" wrote...
Brussels sprouts, I planted them last winter now they are little plants
and starting to flower. Surely that isn't right. Did I plant them too
early?

Yes. You plant Brussels seed about May time, as it says on the packet.

I sow them in early March and then some more in late March as they do
better with a long season I find

What variety do you use? and when do they crop?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Hamer Family" wrote...
Brussels sprouts, I planted them last winter now they are little plants
and starting to flower. Surely that isn't right. Did I plant them too
early?

Yes. You plant Brussels seed about May time, as it says on the packet.

I sow them in early March and then some more in late March as they do
better with a long season I find

What variety do you use? and when do they crop?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I try different varieties but last year and this year I am trying Seven
Hills and Cascade and crop through the winter. I dug them up late Feb/Early
March