Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Isn't it too early for midges?

Aries wrote:
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:18:52 +0100, Bobbie wrote:

They don't seem to have reached us here in Dorset. I have never been
bothered by them, nor by the mozzies that gather round the pond. I often
smell of horses and goats, and always of dogs, perhaps that is why.

Bobbie:-)

Come to think of it I don't remember being bothered by them when we were
farming either - hmmmmm?

I just been online and ordered skin so soft from Avon now so hope that'll
do the trick

I hear only good things about it. My friend Anne swears by it.
That seems like an excellent buy on-line. I hope it works for you, it
must be very frustrating, having to worry about being bitten every time
you go out of doors.
We had a loverly drop of rain last night and the grass is looking much
better for it. Today has been chilly but lots of sunshine.
Mary, Mary Quite Contrary how does your garden grow? No cockle shells
but the bluebells are about to flower and the blossom trees are a
picture. The greenhouse demands lots of attention now with lots of
potting on to do and the cuttings all doing well. Such an interesting
time of year, don't you think?

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have some years to go before our first flowering bluebells. They are at the
"grass-like shoots" stage.

http://www.bluebellseeds.com/
"In the first year, in mid-late March, grass-like shoots should appear in the
patch. These are darker green and thinner than normal grass, but may be very
difficult to see in a lawn. In the second year, they are similar, but coarser.
You will not get blooms until the third or fourth year."

Something else they don't tell you on a seed packet.

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.
Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.

But being a Scot, you should be thinking of what in England are called
'harebells'. (Campanula rotundafolia)

Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Still looking for some wood anemone rhizomes... (Anemone nemorosa)

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Each year before they flower I hope that I will be contamination free
for another year. I hate to see our native bluebells tainted by the more
robust Spanish version. Being a Scot I have an affinity with bluebells.

But being a Scot, you should be thinking of what in England are called
'harebells'. (Campanula rotundafolia)

Once again we mass planted them and hope for another blue haze beneath
the trees in the coming weeks. They follow on from the daffodils and
snowdrops. Nature has a fondness for blue and yellow, have you noticed?
I walk my dogs regularly on my local Heath and there the colours are
predominantly purple and yellow.

Still looking for some wood anemone rhizomes... (Anemone nemorosa)

LOL Funny you should say that Rusty, Annie and I have had many a
discussion about that very thing. In fact I am referring to
Hyacinthoides non-scripta, not (Campanula rotundafolia) or harebell.
They are Scottish Bluebells only because they were raised in a Scottish
garden by a Scot.
What I am trying to avoid is Hyacinthoides hispanica.

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

I guessed - but some might not.

--
Rusty

Too early , wayyyyy too early Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2017 01:14 PM
midges Heather[_3_] United Kingdom 5 10-04-2007 11:59 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
O/T Warding off Midges etc. janet.bennett United Kingdom 0 29-03-2003 09:44 AM