Old 15-04-2009, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis advice

I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but very
beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith
Old 15-04-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but very
beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

I had a Nelly till last year. Cut it back a tad too hard!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/193.shtml
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 15-04-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:40:16 -0700 (PDT)
Judith in France wrote:

I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but very
beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

Clematis need to be planted deep, they often rot off at the top until
established. If you have not already dug it up it might still recover
- provided it was planted deep - it's only April.

R.

Old 15-04-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 15, 5:35*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but very
beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

I had a Nelly till last year. Cut it back a tad too hard!http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/193.shtml
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete, you have much higher temps than me in Winter, yes?

Judith
Old 15-04-2009, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but very
beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

Clematis need to be planted deep, they often rot off at the top until
established. *If you have not already dug it up it might still recover
- provided it was planted deep - it's only April.

R.

The others are already greening up from the bottom, slightly, but I
will do as you advise and wait before I dig it up, thanks.

Judith

Old 15-04-2009, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:35 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but
very beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

I had a Nelly till last year. Cut it back a tad too
hard!http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/193.shtml
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete, you have much higher temps than me in Winter, yes?

Judith

Yes, but Nelly is quite hardy.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 15-04-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 15, 6:47*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:35 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but
very beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

I had a Nelly till last year. Cut it back a tad too
hard!http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/193.shtml
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete, you have much higher temps than me in Winter, yes?

Judith

Yes, but Nelly is quite hardy.
--
Pete C
London UK

I know she is Pete, but this is a skiing area.

Judith
Old 16-04-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 995e2966-8963-4273-8549-
,
says...
On Apr 15, 6:47*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:35 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but
very beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith

I had a Nelly till last year. Cut it back a tad too
hard!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/193.shtml
--
Pete C
London UK

Pete, you have much higher temps than me in Winter, yes?

Judith

Yes, but Nelly is quite hardy.
--
Pete C
London UK

I know she is Pete, but this is a skiing area.

Judith

If you are getting lows of more than -30c you should mulch the plants but
clematis are root hardy to -30c and often below. the top growth is not so
tough which means Clematis will behave as group 3 plants and only flower
on their new growth towards the middle and the end of the summer, if you
abandon your requirement for large flowers there are many of the
viticella types that will do well for you
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 16-04-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 15, 6:47*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:35 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

Thanks Charlie, can you recommend smaller flowers then, a Vitcella but
preferably a light colour, not mauves or blues?

Judith
Old 16-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith in France View Post
I want to plant a clematis on a cold north facing wall, last year's
didn't survive the Winter, any suggestions on something hardy but very
beautiful with large white flowers if possible?

Judith
Hi Judith
My mother grows Madame le Coultre and on a North Wall/Fence (Flowers June- September in Surrey.
It does not have huge flowers but makes up for this with the amout covered in early late summer.
Iam not a clematis expert but I thought this is one worth considering, mabe other members will sugest somthing better or you could plant more than one variety to strech out the flowering time, my mum grew it ina huge pot so it was realy established before she planted it wether this helped or not ??
Hope this helps
Spruce
Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow

Old 17-04-2009, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 10:14*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 6c73f47d-a4db-4949-b00b-
,
says...

On Apr 15, 6:47*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:35 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
[...]

Take a look at Alba Luxurians, Little Nell, White Magic, Minuet,
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks Charlie, I looked at them in your catalogue and I notice they
all say prune hard. Will they cover an area of wall each year that I
want covered if I have to prune it back on an annual basis?

Judith

Old 17-04-2009, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 12:46*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article aaab4119-fb50-4664-8586-
,
says... Thanks Charlie, I looked at them in your catalogue and I notice they
all say prune hard. * Will they cover an area of wall each year that I
want covered if I have to prune it back on an annual basis?

Judith

If you imagine something roughly pear shaped (narrower at the base) and
around 15 feet high thats what they will do each year, but each winter
they are chopped back. so if you want permant cover you will need
something like roses, (there are not too many very hardy climbers that
will flower on a north wall)

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks Charlie, back to the drawing board.

Judith