Old 19-04-2009, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moss lichen algae

I have a victorian 'Grotto' ( a style of conservatory with walls made to
look like the inside of a cave but with multitudinous pockets of soil in the
rocks for planting puroses)

There was some difficulty replacing the glass roof with the result that it
was open to the elemnts for some considerable time and the rock- which I
suspect to be Tuffa- has become much covered with moss and lichens.

I have removed most of the plants and the soil but would like to know what
would be best way to kill the green growths on the rocks to restore their
colour back to the origionalwhite/yellow and allow replanting (with fresh
soil in the pockets)..
I have been told that some chemicals may prohibit replanting for a very long
time.

Any suggestions greatfully received

Regards

Old 22-04-2009, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "rhrrc" contains these words:

I have a victorian 'Grotto' ( a style of conservatory with walls made to
look like the inside of a cave but with multitudinous pockets of soil
in the
rocks for planting puroses)

There was some difficulty replacing the glass roof with the result that it
was open to the elemnts for some considerable time and the rock- which I
suspect to be Tuffa- has become much covered with moss and lichens.

I have removed most of the plants and the soil but would like to know what
would be best way to kill the green growths on the rocks to restore their
colour back to the origionalwhite/yellow and allow replanting (with fresh
soil in the pockets)..
I have been told that some chemicals may prohibit replanting for a
very long
time.

Any suggestions greatfully received

Leave it to look natural(ish)?

--
Rusty
Old 22-04-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:51:27 +0100, "rhrrc"
wrote:

I have a victorian 'Grotto' ( a style of conservatory with walls made to
look like the inside of a cave but with multitudinous pockets of soil in the
rocks for planting puroses)

There was some difficulty replacing the glass roof with the result that it
was open to the elemnts for some considerable time and the rock- which I
suspect to be Tuffa- has become much covered with moss and lichens.

I have removed most of the plants and the soil but would like to know what
would be best way to kill the green growths on the rocks to restore their
colour back to the origionalwhite/yellow and allow replanting (with fresh
soil in the pockets)..
I have been told that some chemicals may prohibit replanting for a very long
time.

Any suggestions greatfully received

Regards

I wish I knew the secret of growing green covering on rocks. Moss
would be wonderful. It looks much better than just rock!

Steve

Old 23-04-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Have you done the yoghurt or sour milk trick?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-04-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:54:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

I wish I knew the secret of growing green covering on rocks. Moss
would be wonderful. It looks much better than just rock!

Steve

Have you done the yoghurt or sour milk trick?

I have tried yogurt but not sour milk. What's the difference

Steve

Old 23-04-2009, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

To get rid of green algae we have used Bayer Dimanin Green.
It was the only product tested by the Dutch Consumer Association that worked. It
worked for us too.

Yes but Steve *wants* stuff to grow on rocks - hence the yoghurt etc.
suggestion.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Old 23-04-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:54:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I wish I knew the secret of growing green covering on rocks. Moss
would be wonderful. It looks much better than just rock!

Steve

Have you done the yoghurt or sour milk trick?

I have tried yogurt but not sour milk. What's the difference

Steve

Tsk! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Old 23-04-2009, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

It did (presumably) look natural before the green growths occurred since
this was how it looked was garnered, put in place, and remained ffor some
100+ years untill the roof was left open .

I just want to return it to its natural looking state

Is Moss a Lichen RzB Plant Science 6 07-10-2006 10:10 PM
Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution. Bob Hobden United Kingdom 220 18-01-2004 03:43 PM
Moss/Lichen on roof Bob Hobden United Kingdom 6 15-01-2004 12:47 PM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 10 15-01-2004 05:43 AM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 0 09-01-2004 01:12 PM