Old 23-04-2009, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default red ants!!

"Spider" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

snipped ... repeat of post for Ophelia. Sorrry to others. Spider

Do ants do damage in the garden? If so, what plants will they hurt?

They tend to do secondary damage following, say, slug and wasp damage, and
frost or mechanical damage. Occasionally, they will undermine a plant by
building their nest under it, but I've hardly ever heard of a case of
this. They also 'farm' and 'milk' aphids; they enjoy the sugary excreta of
aphids, so offer protection to the aphids in return for their 'honeydew'.
Sounds nicer than poo, doesn't it? :~) This can confuse inexperienced
gardeners, who believe they need to treat their ant problem when, in fact,
it's their aphid problem that is at the root of their troubles. Because
ants like sugary foods, they tend to be attracted to ripening fruit.

Ants do not like water, so the OP could try seriously wetting the nest
site. To find the nest, watch the ants to see where they come from and
return to. The soil around the nest is very fine, having a sandy quality.
It is easy for me to spot a nest in my heavy clay soil; not so easy for
someone on sandy soil.

Spider

Old 23-04-2009, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:16:52 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
On 2009-04-22, Pam Moore wrote:

So Rusty, where do you buy borax?

I've seen it in my local pound shop, in Bristol. It surprised
me as I didn't think anywhere sold it anymore.

Thanks Paul. I'll try pound shops. We have one in Keynsham.

Ah, Horace Bachelor territory...

Or do i mean URG Batchelor's Horace-radish? /URG

K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M That's the one!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-04-2009, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

snipped ... repeat of post for Ophelia. Sorrry to others. Spider

Do ants do damage in the garden? If so, what plants will they hurt?

They tend to do secondary damage following, say, slug and wasp
damage, and frost or mechanical damage. Occasionally, they will
undermine a plant by building their nest under it, but I've hardly
ever heard of a case of this. They also 'farm' and 'milk' aphids;
they enjoy the sugary excreta of aphids, so offer protection to the
aphids in return for their 'honeydew'. Sounds nicer than poo,
doesn't it? :~)

Just a bit

This can confuse inexperienced gardeners, who
believe they need to treat their ant problem when, in fact, it's
their aphid problem that is at the root of their troubles. Because
ants like sugary foods, they tend to be attracted to ripening fruit. Ants
do not like water, so the OP could try seriously wetting the
nest site. To find the nest, watch the ants to see where they come
from and return to. The soil around the nest is very fine, having a
sandy quality. It is easy for me to spot a nest in my heavy clay
soil; not so easy for someone on sandy soil.

Many thanks for this most informative post, Spider!

saved