Old 22-04-2009, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aucuba japonica berries

Anyone know if these are edible or not? Google turned up a couple of links
suggesting they were slightly toxic and could give you a stomach upset, but
these were the only two amongst dozens I looked at.

But considering how long this shrub has been grown, I'm surprised that there
seems to be nothing definitive.

--
Jeff

Old 22-04-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Anyone know if these are edible or not? Google turned up a couple of links
suggesting they were slightly toxic and could give you a stomach upset, but
these were the only two amongst dozens I looked at.

But considering how long this shrub has been grown, I'm surprised that there
seems to be nothing definitive.

If you search for Aucuba toxicity you get a higher proportion of sites
mentioning the toxic properties of the plant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-04-2009, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Aucuba+japonica
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Old 23-04-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Anyone know if these are edible or not? Google turned up a couple of
links suggesting they were slightly toxic and could give you a stomach
upset, but these were the only two amongst dozens I looked at.

But considering how long this shrub has been grown, I'm surprised that
there seems to be nothing definitive.

If you search for Aucuba toxicity you get a higher proportion of sites
mentioning the toxic properties of the plant.

Thanks. Seems like the toxicity is minimal (and it has even been suggested
as an antidote to amanitin). They may also not even be palatable.

Any idea what wild animal eats these berries in Japan? It would have to be
a reasonable size as the berries are quite large - a bird perhaps.

--
Jeff

Old 23-04-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone know if these are edible or not? Google turned up a couple of
links suggesting they were slightly toxic and could give you a stomach
upset, but these were the only two amongst dozens I looked at.

But considering how long this shrub has been grown, I'm surprised that
there seems to be nothing definitive.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Aucuba+japonica

Just refers to the leaves being edible, but I find that very surprising.
They look tougher than old boots!

--
Jeff

Aucuba Japonica Bigolob United Kingdom 0 20-04-2013 07:14 PM
Aucuba Japonica(Spotted Laurel) Dead Plants Terry Deans Gardening 5 21-02-2012 07:35 PM
Dying Aucuba Japonica Terry Deans Garden Photos 0 19-02-2012 08:56 PM
serissa japonica Dmitry Akselrod Bonsai 2 10-03-2003 03:44 PM
C. japonica with eggs! Victor M. Martinez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 17-02-2003 09:21 PM