Old 23-04-2009, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default soil

Just finish making another raised bed, and could do with some more soil. I
have a very dark brown soil and managed to get some orange/brown(clay like?)
soil from a local skip company for free which I've mixed. Is it better to
mix homebase(any mass produced) compost/topsoil or just leave the soil I got
as it is?
I presume soil is more nutritional that prepackaged compost?

thanks jase.

Old 24-04-2009, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:16:11 +0100, soulman wrote:

Just finish making another raised bed, and could do with some more soil.
I have a very dark brown soil and managed to get some orange/brown(clay
like?) soil from a local skip company for free which I've mixed. Is it
better to mix homebase(any mass produced) compost/topsoil or just leave
the soil I got as it is?
I presume soil is more nutritional that prepackaged compost?

thanks jase.

IIWY I'd Google 'subsoil' before using that free stuff at all. My guess
is that it's worth precisely what you paid for it. I hope I''m wrong.
Google 'topsoil' while you're about it!
Old 24-04-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 24 Apr 2009 08:50:14 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:16:11 +0100, soulman wrote:

Just finish making another raised bed, and could do with some more soil.
I have a very dark brown soil and managed to get some orange/brown(clay
like?) soil from a local skip company for free which I've mixed. Is it
better to mix homebase(any mass produced) compost/topsoil or just leave
the soil I got as it is?
I presume soil is more nutritional that prepackaged compost?

thanks jase.

IIWY I'd Google 'subsoil' before using that free stuff at all. My guess
is that it's worth precisely what you paid for it. I hope I''m wrong.
Google 'topsoil' while you're about it!

It could be contaminated earth.
--

Martin

The soil came from a skip that had been excavated from a garden, some of it
still had grass roots so I don't think is subsoil.(although not sure what
garden!). The thing is when I went to a few garden places the top soil was
nothing like normal topsoil, it seemed to be more like a finer manufactured
compost? would this be as nutritional? or will any compost be good enough to
bulk out what I have? I did add some general purpose fertilizer.

sorry for the questions, google is a world of info, but there's also aload
of shite! not quite as good as experiances of real people

thanks jase.

Old 24-04-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Jase,

it'll be fine.

Make sure you do get rid of the roots of those grasses.

Gradually (I mean over a number of years), in the Autumn, mix in your
own composted stuff, a little sand and a little lime and the clay will
break down, be more workable and release its nutrients to the roots of
plants.

Making your own compost from weeds, kitchen waste, shredded paper and
even plants grown for composting will help you create very fertile,
workable soil. I go around collecting nettle stalks and leaves around
the allotment pathways to boost the pile and add Yarrow which is easy
to grow from seed. Nettles and Yarrow encourage the micro organisms
that make compost and it's cheaper than compost accelerators.

As long as the soil doesn't get too acidic you will be able to grow
anything the following year if you add compost, a little sand, a
little lime each Autumn. It is better to leave root veg a further year
if you have added a large amount of fresh compost or the carrots and
parsnips will grow half a dozen roots per plant.

Brassicas do prefer soil which is unworked the previous Autumn (they
wobble about in the wind and it upsets the roots and leaves holes
which attract root pests) but if you tread on it and compact it a few
times the soil would be good for brassicas too.

There's lots to learn about soil and how it works with the planting
cycle. Don't let all that put you off. Just get on with it! Good luck.

TJ

Old 24-04-2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

soulman writes

The soil came from a skip that had been excavated from a garden, some of it
still had grass roots so I don't think is subsoil.(although not sure what
garden!). The thing is when I went to a few garden places the top soil was
nothing like normal topsoil, it seemed to be more like a finer manufactured
compost? would this be as nutritional? or will any compost be good enough to
bulk out what I have? I did add some general purpose fertilizer.

sorry for the questions, google is a world of info, but there's also aload
of shite! not quite as good as experiances of real people

A high humus content is usually a good thing (better water retention in
summer without being too soggy in winter), and the effect of humus is
usually to make the soil darker in colour. However, if you add humus to
a clayey soil, you end up with a good rich soil (this is all very
non-scientific).

Be prepared to continue improving your soil by adding humus (home
produced compost for example) each year.
--
Kay