Old 02-05-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cordyline palm - possible to re-pot top?

I topped off a failry large cordyline palm this week, it was approx 10
feet high, I've taken off the top 2 feet or so.
Can the top, cut off section be put into potting compost, and re-grown?
Ta
Alan.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Lee View Post
I topped off a failry large cordyline palm this week, it was approx 10
feet high, I've taken off the top 2 feet or so.
Can the top, cut off section be put into potting compost, and re-grown?
Ta
Alan.

Hi Alan
I uesd to do it the other way around take out of pot and using a saw cut cut through the root ball and then drop the plant to the bottom of pot then put new compost in
I had the same two plants in the same pots for ten years I used to use the part I cut off they would always regrow from the trunk part but I have never thought to cut the top off as I have never seen them re-grow from the original but probably the large cuttings should you will need to reduce the size of the leaves by half to reduce water loss while the roots grow, I would probable remove at least 12 inches of leaves and pot them up.
Let us know if it works

My experience maybe I will be corrected

Spruce
__________________
From small acorns oak trees grow
Old 04-05-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

yes alan,

trim off all but the youngest leaves carefully. if it has a lot of
length you could cut it in 1/2 and have 2 cuttings to plant.

On Sat, 2 May 2009 11:07:17 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

cordyline palm silvery United Kingdom 4 23-08-2011 08:28 AM
Cordyline. Cut the top off. marshal Gardening 1 17-06-2008 09:32 AM
A poorly Torbay (Cordyline) Palm [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-03-2007 02:22 PM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM