Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default camelia - flowers didn't fully open

If I hadn't been beset with other gardening problems I'd have
mentioned this sooner.

Amongst a few other camelias which all behaved themselves, one with
red-ish blooms had relatively few which opened fully.

Is there a straightforward diagnosis?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-04 18:01:24 +0100, bob said:

If I hadn't been beset with other gardening problems I'd have
mentioned this sooner.

Amongst a few other camelias which all behaved themselves, one with
red-ish blooms had relatively few which opened fully.

Is there a straightforward diagnosis?

Early morning frosts, by any chance, east facing, something of that sort?
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-04 18:01:24 +0100, bob said:

If I hadn't been beset with other gardening problems I'd have
mentioned this sooner.
Amongst a few other camelias which all behaved themselves, one with
red-ish blooms had relatively few which opened fully.
Is there a straightforward diagnosis?

Early morning frosts, by any chance, east facing, something of that sort?

Or just rain and flowers getting waterlogged, so the petals rot at the
base and never fully open?
--
Kay
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 May 2009 22:03:34 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 04 May 2009 19:01:24 +0200, bob wrote:

If I hadn't been beset with other gardening problems I'd have
mentioned this sooner.

Amongst a few other camelias which all behaved themselves, one with
red-ish blooms had relatively few which opened fully.

Is there a straightforward diagnosis?

Could be they were damaged by frost at a critical point in their bud
development, whereas the buds on the other camellias weren't so well
developed at that moment and came through unscathed.

Many thanks for the replies.

On balance, it looks like frost is more likely to have been the
culprit - they were vicious and prolonged here whereas rain through
the winter was unexceptional.

At least it looks like it wasn't of my doing, or not doing!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Amongst a few other camelias which all behaved themselves, one with
red-ish blooms had relatively few which opened fully.

Is there a straightforward diagnosis?

Could be they were damaged by frost at a critical point in their bud
development, whereas the buds on the other camellias weren't so well
developed at that moment and came through unscathed.

Many thanks for the replies.

On balance, it looks like frost is more likely to have been the
culprit - they were vicious and prolonged here whereas rain through
the winter was unexceptional.

At least it looks like it wasn't of my doing, or not doing!

I have had a similar problem with mine so all the answers have been
interesting. One person living nearby said that I had not watered them
enough during the winter, !!!!

kate