Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Registered User

Default Can anyone help me identify these?

We moved recently and are having trouble identifying these plants -

1. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0004.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0006.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0007.jpg

2. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0009.jpg We think possible ladies mantle? But not sure what that is like!

3. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0008.jpg We think some kind of geranium?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quick climbing growers

On 2009-05-05 17:22:15 +0100, Jim and Vicki
said:

Can anyone recommend quick growing climbers to cover a 4ft chain link
fence? Preferably evergreen, and an additional benefit would be
flowering. I've been warned off russian vine, and have so far planted
an evergreen honeysuckle and a piracantha.

Thanks everyone!

You really do need to tell people where you live because it will make a
big difference to what they suggest. This answer is coming to you
through uk.rec.gardening, a gardening newsgroup that is not a
commercial site.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Jim and Vicki

Hi Jim and Vicki,

It would help if we knew where you were and which way the fence faces. The
two plants you've named could suit sun or shade, and they're both reasonably
hardy, so they're not giving any clues about climate. Do your plants need
to be hardy?

However, I'll make one or two suggestions off the top of my head, and you
may have to do a little research on Google.

Trachelsopermum jasminoides (Star Jasmine): white flowers

Ceanothus cultivars (no more a climber than Pyracantha, but also used as a
wall shrub):
blue flowers

Clematis armandii: white flowers

Chaenomeles cultivars (Flowering Quince): Red, coral, pink or white
flowers - will need tying in, but would give good colour and bee food early
in the season. Not evergreen, but much used as a screen.

Will keep thinking. That extra information would help.
Spider

Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-06 08:12:39 +0100, Jim and Vicki
said:

'Spider[_2_ Wrote:
;842973']"Jim and Vicki" wrote
in message
...-

[...]

REALLY sorry - we are in south england with a south east facing garden.
Sorry!!!

It helps everyone to help you because of different climate conditions
etc. You might also be able to consider Rosa banksiae lutea, which
seems to be evergreen with us and lost some, but by no means all, of
its leaves this winter here in South Devon. It depends rather on how
cold your garden gets in winter - how frosty for how long. Clematis
rehderiana is also semi-evergreen with us and grows like wildfire but
would need keeping under control to some extent and training along,
rather than just going up and up. Its great advantage is that it
flowers late in the year and the little bell like flowers smell of
cowslips. Schisandra chinensis is another possible for you. At 4' in
height, much of what's on offer is going to need some tying in to get
it going sideways, as well as keeping it within bounds.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim and Vicki View Post
We moved recently and are having trouble identifying these plants -

1. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0004.jpg

Looks as though it may be a form of Aruncus - there is not enough scale to tell if these are large herbaceous or small shrub.

2. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0009.jpg We think possible ladies mantle? But not sure what that is like!

Alchemilla mollis it is

3. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Tocco0008.jpg We think some kind of geranium?

Definitely - but the are thousands of forms and without the flowers almost impossible to say which one it is exactly
Good luck!