Old 17-05-2009, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deter squirrels (only) from bird feeders?

In article ,
Bill Smith writes
Sorry, folks, the squirrels seem to have acquired a taste for chilli-ed
(+paprika +cayenne+ground white pepper) peanuts!

What on Earth are you thinking of putting out such stuff, especially at
this time of year?

If birds feed this sort of stuff to their chicks it will kill them. Even
bread is considered a bad idea.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 18-05-2009, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Roy Bailey
writes
In article ,
Bill Smith writes
Sorry, folks, the squirrels seem to have acquired a taste for chilli-ed
(+paprika +cayenne+ground white pepper) peanuts!

What on Earth are you thinking of putting out such stuff, especially at
this time of year?

If birds feed this sort of stuff to their chicks it will kill them.
Even bread is considered a bad idea.

Roy.

My birds are clever enough to have ignored the peanut feeder for a few
weeks now.
They've all gone stale.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 18-05-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

-
What on Earth are you thinking of putting out such stuff, especially
at

this time of year?

If birds feed this sort of stuff to their chicks it will kill them.
Even
bread is considered a bad idea.

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

According to the RSPB that's a load of crap Roy:
http://tinyurl.com/pjlo78

No it isn't - that RSPB article specifically warns about putting out
'unsuitable' food such as bread and peanuts during the bird breeding
season,
stressing that if birds feed them to their young, it can do more harm
than
good.

When birds are feeding nestlings RSPB warns against putting out
whole, loose peanuts (which could choke them) but says its okay to put
peanuts in
"suitable mesh feeders that will not allow sizeable pieces of peanuts
to be removed.".

Probably because they sell such feeders :-)

Old 18-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

Roy Bailey;845361 Wrote:
[...]

I've seen several people remark over the years that they have yet to
find any choked to death nestlings on the ground or anywhere else.
Nonetheless, we do put peanuts in such feeders and still continue to
put out seed and the birds go at them like nobody's business. I don't
know if it's the adults taking stuff to feed their young, or if they're
just topping themselves up when they get a spare moment. Certainly
they give the impression of being rather harassed!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 18-05-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

I've seen several people remark over the years that they have yet to
find any choked to death nestlings on the ground or anywhere else.
Nonetheless, we do put peanuts in such feeders and still continue to
put out seed and the birds go at them like nobody's business. I don't
know if it's the adults taking stuff to feed their young, or if they're
just topping themselves up when they get a spare moment. Certainly
they give the impression of being rather harassed!

The BTO reports that garden feeding supports greater densities of small
birds such as tits, but that their breeding success is lower than in the
countryside, which they ascribe to the nestlings being fed on insects.
So that even though the parents are feeding at feeders for themselves,
they are still seeking insects and caterpillars for their young, and
these are often not at high densities in the urban garden.

So it would seem that the feeders are good at maintaining health in the
adults, but are a last resort for feeding young. The RSPB is making the
point that it is difficult for us to understand when there are food
shortages, and therefore when the adults will resort to feeding their
young from feeders, and therefore, to be on the safe side, don't feed
anything that might cause a problem if fed to the young (even though it
probably won't be fed to them)

I must admit, I hadn't seen the thing about not putting out fat in
spring and summer, and rather assumed that it would be as important in
spring and summer (breeding and moulting) as it would be in winter.
--
Kay
Old 18-05-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-18 20:46:27 +0100, K said:

Sacha writes

[...]

All this makes sense to the feeding patterns we seem to be seeing,
although a lot of it is assumption on our part, admittedly. The adults
come to the box we keep by the till in the Nursery and just stuff
themselves! This is a shallow cardboard tray filled with seed and
crumbs and it attracts robins, sparrows and blackbirds. But, they're
also foraging around in the garden and greenhouses and will,
presumably, be helping us in our biological controls by taking insects
and worms to their young. We do have fat feeders out but the birds are
ignoring them in favour of seeds and peanuts, or crumbs for themselves.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Bird houses, feeders and food - which ones to buy? Char Kenny United Kingdom 29 04-04-2009 03:27 PM
bird feeders news Lawns 9 29-11-2007 09:50 PM
Dad-Gum Bird Feeders ! Jack[_10_] Gardening 5 10-09-2007 02:58 AM
10% Discount On Wild Bird Food, Feeders & Accessories Bird Feast United Kingdom 0 19-04-2004 01:07 PM
No action on my bird feeders Barry Watts United Kingdom 22 16-03-2003 11:44 PM