Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deter squirrels (only) from bird feeders?

Our garden backs onto a strip of municipal woodland. We have a metal
support for hanging cage-type bird feeders, and attract a good number
and variety of small birds.

We also attract many pigeons, which can't properly cope with the cage
around the feeders, but also three or four grey squirrels which pay a
visit several times a day.

They don't tend to go for the bird seed feeder, but go instead for the
peanut feeder, having learnt to clamber inside the cage part and feed
upside-down on the peanuts in an inner, small-meshed cage. A pack of
peanuts costs me 99p, and one, thanks almost entirely to the squirrels,
lasts a day at the most.

Spraying the metal pole with WD-40 stops the squirrels as they slither
around and can't climb it, but this lasts only a couple of days, and
costs more than the peanuts if I kept refreshing the WD-40. I suspect
that someting other than WD-40, such as soap or an oil, would no last
much longer before the little critters are able to shin up the pole
again. (The pole etc is not near a tree of fence, but the squirrels
cross the lawn to it and race up it - amusing the first few times, but
now infuriating!

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to prefer
peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Smith" wrote in message news:suilven- Can
anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to prefer
peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.

Hold me back! (speaking from Formby, one home of the beautiful endangered
red squirrel....) Fetch ma gun!!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 06 May 2009 23:27:24 +0000, Bill Smith wrote:

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent

12-bore cartridges are less than £150 a thousand.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 00:27:24 +0100, Bill Smith said:

Our garden backs onto a strip of municipal woodland. We have a metal
support for hanging cage-type bird feeders, and attract a good number
and variety of small birds.
snip

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to prefer
peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

You could try making the sort of thing they put on ship's warps to
prevent rats coming aboard. It's like one of those inverted buckets
you see dogs wearing to stop them nibbling at stitches after an
operation. Attach that to the pole with the wide end at the bottom and
coat it with e.g. vaseline so the squirrel can't climb over it. If
it's wide enough the squirrel won't be able to stretch to climb over
and past it. Worth a try.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Smith" wrote in message

now infuriating!

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to prefer
peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.

Dust the peanuts in chilli powder, the hotter the better. Sit back. Watch.
Have fun when the squirrel does a "YUK!" expression & runs off shaking its
head. You do have to keep up with regular dustings of chilli though.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Smith wrote:
[...]

Try your local garden centre for a 'Squirel baffle' to fit on your bird
feeder - its sort of like a clear plastic hemisphere which fits onto the
upright - Gardman make them(?) About twenty quid. They work.

Hope this helps

rjbl
Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 May 2009 23:27:24 +0000, Bill Smith wrote:

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent

12-bore cartridges are less than £150 a thousand.

I suspect this method doesn't meet the original brief of not harming the
squirrels.

mark

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
"Bill Smith" wrote in message
news:suilven- Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not
harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to
prefer peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.

Hold me back! (speaking from Formby, one home of the beautiful
endangered red squirrel....) Fetch ma gun!!

Heh, nothing wrong with squirrel casserole. You need a few though

Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Sheila wrote:
"Bill Smith" wrote in message
news:suilven- Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not
harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to
prefer peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.

Hold me back! (speaking from Formby, one home of the beautiful
endangered red squirrel....) Fetch ma gun!!

Heh, nothing wrong with squirrel casserole. You need a few though

Indeed, it's a meat I'd like to try. Tree-rat. An excellent way to keep
vermin under control. Shoot and eat.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 07:19:53 +0100, "wafflycat"

--

No adverse effect on the birds at all. Birds do not taste hot chilli - the
seeds are evolved to be spread by birds. Mammals, on the other hand, do

Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 08:38:38 +0100, RJBL said:

Bill Smith wrote:
[...]

Just the sort of thing I was trying to describe. And this is a clever
seed feeder:
http://www.gardman.co.uk/asp/birds/f...ist-feeder.asp

I didn't find squirrel baffles there but I did find them he
http://www.jacobijayne.co.uk/squirre...uirrel-guards/

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

snippity..

And the birds?!
--

No adverse effect on the birds at all. Birds do not taste hot chilli - the
seeds are evolved to be spread by birds. Mammals, on the other hand, do
taste the heat. My hens have crushed chilli in their food every day.
They love it.

And to confirm

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.asp?id=tcm:9-202877

Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 10:02:01 +0100, "wafflycat"

On 2009-05-07 07:19:53 +0100, "wafflycat"
said:

"Bill Smith" wrote in message

now infuriating!

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to prefer
peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.

Dust the peanuts in chilli powder, the hotter the better. Sit back.
Watch. Have fun when the squirrel does a "YUK!" expression & runs off
shaking its head. You do have to keep up with regular dustings of
chilli though.

And the birds?!
--

No adverse effect on the birds at all. Birds do not taste hot chilli -
the seeds are evolved to be spread by birds. Mammals, on the other
hand, do taste the heat. My hens have crushed chilli in their food
every day. They love it.

Wonderful. I had no idea - says she rushing off to the larder....... ;-)

Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message
Sheila wrote:
"Bill Smith" wrote in message
news:suilven- Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will
not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to
prefer peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Bill.

Hold me back! (speaking from Formby, one home of the beautiful
endangered red squirrel....) Fetch ma gun!!

Heh, nothing wrong with squirrel casserole. You need a few though

Indeed, it's a meat I'd like to try. Tree-rat. An excellent way to
keep vermin under control. Shoot and eat.

Treat it like rabbit but it is not as strong. I usually casserole them with
garlic, onions, red wine etc

Bird houses, feeders and food - which ones to buy? Char Kenny United Kingdom 29 04-04-2009 03:27 PM
bird feeders news Lawns 9 29-11-2007 09:50 PM
Dad-Gum Bird Feeders ! Jack[_10_] Gardening 5 10-09-2007 02:58 AM
10% Discount On Wild Bird Food, Feeders & Accessories Bird Feast United Kingdom 0 19-04-2004 01:07 PM
No action on my bird feeders Barry Watts United Kingdom 22 16-03-2003 11:44 PM