Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Default Problem with Wisteria

I have a Wisteria of the blue variety which is seven years old approx having spent two years in a pot and the last five years in a permanent position in my suburban garden in north west England. It is positioned in the garden where it receives the morning sun at approx 10:00, some parts not until about 11:30.
For the last two years it has begun the process of blooming where a massive bud crop grew to between 3” and 4” in length and then stopped. The individual petals of each bloom would then fall off when touched. The result was that the plant did not bloom. Now well into the blooming season one or two blooms have grown to full size and are attempting, unsuccessfully to bloom. The leaves are now on the vine and otherwise the plant looks very healthy.
I did think that perhaps the buds were being killed by the sun on a chilled bud as a result of a late spring frost however, this year we did not have a late frost to affect the buds. Has any one had the same experience and if so how did they remedy the problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"nahgoe" wrote in message

[...]

There is a Wisteria on the Cliff Walk just round the corner from me, growing
up through some trees. Wonderful site, full of blooms. This is facing East
and is right on the edge of the cliff so any East winds which are the cold
ones, hops over the edge of the cliff and bites yer blooming ears off.

Facing East it has sun on it from sunrise to mid day, but as it is up
through the tree, will get sun all day on it somewhere.

Now as someone on here is quite prepared to shout it time and time again, I
AM NO GARDENER, that's my wife, beautiful garden derived from over 50 years
experience, but "I" would say lack of water.

Mike

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Although we are in Cornwall, we are 500' elevation and East facing and get
some pretty severe frosts. Our Wisteria gets morning sun, but seems fairly
frost hardy. It's also about 7 years old, but used to produce very few
blooms and about 75% of them, fell off.
I got hold of the RHS pruning book and pruned to 4 buds in early Winter and
then 2 buds in late Winter. After pruning, they suggest you aply a mulch to
the base. For the last 2 years there has been very little 'drop off' and
most blooms have reached full size. I don't know if it's the pruning and/or
mulch that has caused this dramatic improvement. Here's some photos I took
this time last year -

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=91beb42d.pbw

Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I would be hugely surprised if you haven't had a late frost, Saturday
night was our most recent, Cold windy weather can also cause the
individual flowers to drop, but another reason is dry roots, Wisteria are
swamp plants in the wild and will take offense if dry at the wrong time
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Wisteria Problem GLK United Kingdom 0 08-06-2007 05:55 PM
Wisteria Problem Percy United Kingdom 0 28-06-2004 09:28 AM
[IBC] Problem with miniature wisteria Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 13-04-2003 06:44 PM
Problem with miniature wisteria James Quinan Bonsai 0 13-04-2003 08:20 AM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM