Old 15-06-2009, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default spring in lawn :-(

Brownfingers wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:20:43 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Why not make a feature of it and make a natural pond, the overflow from
that you could route into the road drainage system, but it would always
be worth checking that it is a spring not a water leak from a pipe so
give the water people a ring and tell them they have a leak they will
soon tell you if its nothing to do with then!

its very season/weather dependent and there's been boggy ground in the
park nearbye till they drained it, so I think its natural.
Unfortunately there is no road drainage downhill from where it is.
Breaking News!
We have found a drain in the track behind the house, a neighbour has
cleared it and that has cleared the track of water. I imagine it runs
down to the river, will find out more. So if I can route the water out
of sight in the garden as suggested, things may be OK.

Ah. The dyke that time forgot ;-)

Yup. route your drainage to that!
Old 15-06-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

..
We now have a boggy patch in the lawn and water running down the path,
one small bed is totally waterlogged.

I've invented a trick to drain grass
where I cut out turfs along where I want it to drain,
then slice earth off the bottom of the turfs
and slope the edges of the new ditch
then replace the turfs
so there's a depression running down the lawn..
in the dry it's not noticeable and you can run and walk and cycle
without falling in
but in the wet the water follows it downhill..

I ahve various inspection pits dug in the earth round my house
and i look at the levels of water in them after rainfall
and adjust and evolve the drainage...

[g]
Old 15-06-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In message
,
moghouse writes
On Jun 15, 12:32*pm, Brownfingers wrote:
our garden slopes down to a park which is beyond a common access
track.

the garden has always been wet and after a lot of rain water would
push up between concrete cracks at the bottom of the garden. This
didn't matter much.
Last year the poplar in the park beyond died and its been fairly wet.
We now have a boggy patch in the lawn and water running down the path,
one small bed is totally waterlogged. Beyond the garden outside the
neighbours back gate the water accumulates because it cannot get
beyond a slightly raised concreted section at the back of the
neighbour two away, I doubt anything not 4x4 could now get through the
access track.
Where would you start looking for a solution, Thames water? The
Council? Some DIY work?

I think your only solution is to build an ark!

'E'd gotten the wood for the bulwarks, And all t'other shipbuilding
junk,
And wanted some nice Bird's Eye Maple To panel the side of 'is bunk.

prolly good for BBQs too ...

--
geoff
Old 15-06-2009, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Brownfingers" wrote in message
our garden slopes down to a park which is beyond a common access
track....

Is there more sloping ground above the garden? If so, the answer is to build
an intercepting drain (which could be a gravel filled ditch under the grass)
at the highest part of the garden and to pipe the water from that to the
bottom. The garden then only has to deal with the water falling on it, not
that plus any water falling on the hill above.

Colin Bignell

Old 16-06-2009, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:15:35 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk wrote:

Is there more sloping ground above the garden?

yes, but no on my land.
--
Mike

Old 16-06-2009, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

here.me.uk wrote:

Is there more sloping ground above the garden?

yes, but no on my land.

It is still feeding water onto your land, so a very effective way to keep
your land dryer is to intercept that water with a drain at the top of your
land.

Colin Bignell

Old 16-06-2009, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

--
..

here.me.uk wrote:

Is there more sloping ground above the garden?

yes, but no on my land.

It is still feeding water onto your land, so a very effective way to keep
your land dryer is to intercept that water with a drain at the top of your
land.

Colin Bignell

OR, do as my daughter and son in law have done. Make it into a stream, get a
JCB in at the bottom and the wettest patch and dig a big pond. Their's is
about 40 foot diameter with an Island in the middle for wild life. The
overflow then goes into the Village Pond which is just outside and across
the road :-)) Your overflow could go into the road.

Mike