Old 15-06-2009, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default spring in lawn :-(

our garden slopes down to a park which is beyond a common access
track.

the garden has always been wet and after a lot of rain water would
push up between concrete cracks at the bottom of the garden. This
didn't matter much.
Last year the poplar in the park beyond died and its been fairly wet.
We now have a boggy patch in the lawn and water running down the path,
one small bed is totally waterlogged. Beyond the garden outside the
neighbours back gate the water accumulates because it cannot get
beyond a slightly raised concreted section at the back of the
neighbour two away, I doubt anything not 4x4 could now get through the
access track.
Where would you start looking for a solution, Thames water? The
Council? Some DIY work?
--
Mike
Old 15-06-2009, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Brownfingers wrote:
our garden slopes down to a park which is beyond a common access
track.

Ok...

the garden has always been wet and after a lot of rain water would
push up between concrete cracks at the bottom of the garden. This
didn't matter much.

Ok..

Last year the poplar in the park beyond died and its been fairly wet.
We now have a boggy patch in the lawn and water running down the path,
one small bed is totally waterlogged. Beyond the garden outside the
neighbours back gate the water accumulates because it cannot get
beyond a slightly raised concreted section at the back of the
neighbour two away, I doubt anything not 4x4 could now get through the
access track.
Where would you start looking for a solution, Thames water? The
Council? Some DIY work?

I have a similar problem. Essentially we have solved it by building
raised beds and also by throwing down hardcore and MOT type 1
(limestone) and covering that with the topsoil we scarped off earlier.
The 'stream' now runs UNDER the ground as it were, in the hardcore!

The key is as with any land drainage to provide a fast water path under
the land you want not to be a bog. That gets the water to where you want
it without screwing up your bit of land. General ideas include what I
described - a porous layer under the topsoil - or porous pipes
herringboned into the subsoil, or mole ploughing which is the same, but
slightly less permanent.

Its a perennial problem as more and more trees are cut down, and more an
more land is tarmacked and paved over.

Drainage beyond your property boundary is usually the local council, or
the local water authorities responsibility: However most suburban
council shave forgotten that ditches even exist, or what they are for.
The tendency is also to simply take runoff sewers as rapidly as possible
to the nearest stream or river, pass teh water downstream and make it
someone elses problem!

If the access road is private, consider raising it with MOT sub base,
and putting drainage channels down the side. If its public, try the
council. But don't hold your breath, compared with the lesbian black
disabled wheelchair drop in center, ditches don't gain many brownie
points these days. Mind you, that's a point. Cultivate a lesbian black
wheel chair user and complain that she cant get in your back gate.

They will be all over you like a rash!

Or buy a 4x4.

Old 15-06-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 12:32*pm, Brownfingers wrote:
our garden slopes down to a park which is beyond a common access
track.

the garden has always been wet and after a lot of rain water would
push up between concrete cracks at the bottom of the garden. This
didn't matter much.
Last year the poplar in the park beyond died and its been fairly wet.
We now have a boggy patch in the lawn and water running down the path,
one small bed is totally waterlogged. Beyond the garden outside the
neighbours back gate the water accumulates because it cannot get
beyond a slightly raised concreted section at the back of the
neighbour two away, I doubt anything not 4x4 could now get through the
access track.
Where would you start looking for a solution, Thames water? The
Council? Some DIY work?

I think your only solution is to build an ark!
Old 15-06-2009, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:57:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cultivate a lesbian black
wheel chair user and complain that she cant get in your back gate.

That'd work - I had n African, bisexual, patially disabled GF and she go
everything going. I said that all she lacked was an illegitimate child; her
eyes lit up - I got worried!
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Old 15-06-2009, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:57:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ditches don't gain many brownie points these days.

But dykes do, apparently

Old 15-06-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

moghouse wrote:
[...]

Naw just be patient and wait. The government assure us that global
warming is to increase and water will be at a premium, and we all
believe politicians, don't we?

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 15-06-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:32:50 +0100, Brownfingers wrote:
Where would you start looking for a solution, Thames water? The
Council? Some DIY work?

Invest in a small bottling plant. Print labels claiming 'natural' and
'healthy'. Sell the stuff, make a fortune. Suggest 'Poplar Springs' as the
name of your company.

Old 15-06-2009, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Plant some trees to replace the Poplar which was sucking up the water.

MBQ
Old 15-06-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Derek Turner wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:57:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ditches don't gain many brownie points these days.

But dykes do, apparently

Now that is pretty damned good.
Old 15-06-2009, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
[...]

Does NOT work in winter.
DAMHIKT

Old 15-06-2009, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The key is as with any land drainage to provide a fast water path under
the land you want not to be a bog. That gets the water to where you want
it without screwing up your bit of land. General ideas include what I
described - a porous layer under the topsoil - or porous pipes
herringboned into the subsoil, or mole ploughing which is the same, but
slightly less permanent.

this was my thinking, big gravel first then raise the path with slabs
and I cannot see the "stream"

Its a perennial problem as more and more trees are cut down, and more an
more land is tarmacked and paved over.

ditches don't gain many brownie

what if I ask for a dyke?
--
Mike
Old 15-06-2009, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 06:43:20 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

Plant some trees to replace the Poplar which was sucking up the water.

would be ideal but the poplar was on public land and would take years
to grow, vandals permitting. My garden is full of trees already.
--
Mike
Old 15-06-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jun 2009 12:27:10 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:57:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ditches don't gain many brownie points these days.

But dykes do, apparently

Brilliant!

It was in Knighton where Glyndwr had his Way with Offa's Dyke.
Old 15-06-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:20:43 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Why not make a feature of it and make a natural pond, the overflow from
that you could route into the road drainage system, but it would always
be worth checking that it is a spring not a water leak from a pipe so
give the water people a ring and tell them they have a leak they will
soon tell you if its nothing to do with then!

its very season/weather dependent and there's been boggy ground in the
park nearbye till they drained it, so I think its natural.
Unfortunately there is no road drainage downhill from where it is.
Breaking News!
We have found a drain in the track behind the house, a neighbour has
cleared it and that has cleared the track of water. I imagine it runs
down to the river, will find out more. So if I can route the water out
of sight in the garden as suggested, things may be OK.
--
Mike