Old 15-06-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strimming close to wire netting - any ways to make it easy?

We have lots of rabbits and thus lots of wire netting fences to keep
the rabbits off our vegetables and other vulnerable areas.

While to some extent undergrowth at the base of the fence helps it to
be rabbit-proof it is necessary to clear vegetation to check the
condition of the fence and to prevent the fence from being totally
engulfed in greenery.

Strimmers and wire fences really don't mix, my big strimmer tears the
fence to pieces if I touch it, my small strimmer doesn't damage the
fence so much but the fence doesn't do the strimmer much good.

What do others here do to deal with this problem?

--
Chris Green

Old 15-06-2009, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote in message
We have lots of rabbits and thus lots of wire netting fences to keep
the rabbits off our vegetables and other vulnerable areas.

While to some extent undergrowth at the base of the fence helps it to
be rabbit-proof it is necessary to clear vegetation to check the
condition of the fence and to prevent the fence from being totally
engulfed in greenery.

Strimmers and wire fences really don't mix, my big strimmer tears the
fence to pieces if I touch it, my small strimmer doesn't damage the
fence so much but the fence doesn't do the strimmer much good.

What do others here do to deal with this problem?

--
Chris Green

Cut some thin sheets of Shuttering Ply into say 9 inch wide strips and lay
them against the wire netting by pulling the weeds etc forward.

Strimmer hits ply wood not wire netting.

These can be coated on preservative and left in for good or laid in just
before strimming and stowed in the shed/garage etc.

Mike

Old 15-06-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
wrote in message
[...]

http://www.atlanticonline.uk.com/pro...d=1300010&i=91

Cut to 6 inches wide, one sheet will give a 64 foot run.

Possibly a local supplier would be cheaper. 9mm thickness would be quite
suitable

Mike

Old 15-06-2009, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:32:28 +0100, Mike wrote:

Cut some thin sheets of Shuttering Ply

How long will that last in the wet? You really need proper WBP (Water
and Boil Proof) ply. Ordinary ply will fall apart in very short order
outside. Shuttering ply is a cheap use once and discard material,
even if the concrete is wet when put in the board doesn't have to
survive for long, just a few days until the concrete has mostly
cured.

I agree a thick bit of wood is the best solution. Visiting a proper
builders merchants or timber place will be better than looking in the
DIY sheds. You can probably get 4 or 5 m lenghts of rough sawn
treated 6 x 1 timber from a builders merchant, maybe even with free
delivery if you are willing to wait for the day the truck goes out in
your direction.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-06-2009, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

A bit like a mask when painting I suppose - good idea, I'll try it.

--
Chris Green

Old 15-06-2009, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:32:28 +0100, Mike wrote:

Cut some thin sheets of Shuttering Ply

How long will that last in the wet? You really need proper WBP (Water
and Boil Proof) ply. Ordinary ply will fall apart in very short order
outside. Shuttering ply is a cheap use once and discard material,
even if the concrete is wet when put in the board doesn't have to
survive for long, just a few days until the concrete has mostly
cured.

I agree a thick bit of wood is the best solution. Visiting a proper
builders merchants or timber place will be better than looking in the
DIY sheds. You can probably get 4 or 5 m lenghts of rough sawn
treated 6 x 1 timber from a builders merchant, maybe even with free
delivery if you are willing to wait for the day the truck goes out in
your direction.

That's what I've already done in some places so maybe it's the best way.

--
Chris Green

Old 15-06-2009, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jbm jbm is offline

"'Mike'" wrote in message
| |
| Cut some thin sheets of Shuttering Ply into say 9 inch wide strips and lay
| them against the wire netting by pulling the weeds etc forward.
|
| Strimmer hits ply wood not wire netting.
|
| These can be coated on preservative and left in for good or laid in just
| before strimming and stowed in the shed/garage etc.
|
| Mike

For shuttering ply, use Marine Ply - more durable and longer lasting.
http://www.southern-timber.co.uk/gbu...ly_marine.html

Everything else you say still applies. But you must treat the cut edges
thoroughly in wood preservative or water proof glue (2 or 3 applications) to
re-seal them.

jim, Northampton

Old 16-06-2009, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jbm" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
| |
| Cut some thin sheets of Shuttering Ply into say 9 inch wide strips and
lay
| them against the wire netting by pulling the weeds etc forward.
|
| Strimmer hits ply wood not wire netting.
|
| These can be coated on preservative and left in for good or laid in just
| before strimming and stowed in the shed/garage etc.
|
| Mike

For shuttering ply, use Marine Ply - more durable and longer lasting.
http://www.southern-timber.co.uk/gbu...ly_marine.html

Everything else you say still applies. But you must treat the cut edges
thoroughly in wood preservative or water proof glue (2 or 3 applications)
re-seal them.

On a quiet day - nip along the fence at close range with the weedkiller
spray of your choice.
You will shortly achieve a vegetation free strip where strimmers are not
needed.
Same applies for those having grounding problems with their leccy fences.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com