Old 23-06-2009, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose - Cardinel de Richelieu

I have two of the above roses that I purchased recently. I planted into
large pots to the depth there were in their pots with a small handful of
blood,fish and bone. I have also fed them with diluted liquid tomato feed
but I have noticed that the flower buds have started to droop over and the
stem behind the bud has thinned and turned brown, and the buds have died
off. I have cut the roses back and have continued watering and feeding them
as advised by the garden centre I purchased them from. Has anyone heard of
this before and what is it called? I have learned that these old roses only
flower once a year, so have given up hope for any more blooms this year. Any
advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 24-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered User

These old shrub roses are big plants, and I don't really feel they are suited to pot-growing. They are much better in the ground with good, old-fashioned manure. Our roses generally are given artificial feed twice a year - in March and in July, and are mulched with well-rotted manure in Spring.

I agree with Chris, I think you have over-fed and watered.
Old 24-06-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote in message

Chris Hogg;852769 Wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:52:28 +0100, "Jon"
wrote:
-

[...]

Don't know about the bud droop, but are you sure you're not
over-watering and over-feeding them. I don't grow roses but I wouldn't
expect to feed more than say once a month, and water maybe once or
twice a week depending on the weather and how much sun they get.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

These old shrub roses are big plants, and I don't really feel they are
suited to pot-growing. They are much better in the ground with good,
old-fashioned manure. Our roses generally are given artificial feed
twice a year - in March and in July, and are mulched with well-rotted
manure in Spring.

I agree with Chris, I think you have over-fed and watered.

--
beccabunga

The pot is positioned on my patio which is in the shade first thing in the
morning and when the sun comes round will be in full sun around 3:00pm then
shade again in the evening. The garden faces roughly south, south west. I
have found no bugs on them but I have sprayed for black spot as I noticed a
few black spots on the leaves. I have been feeding one a week and tend to
water when the compost feels dry when I push my finger into the compost and
it is starting to feel dry. I have been through all my books, but cannot
find anything that seems to cover the symptoms. The flower buds droop over
followed the the stem getting thin behind the bud. shrinking and turning
brown. Then bud is then dead. The foliage is firm and green and otherwise in
good health. I do have another rose on the patio which has had the same
treatment and is absolutely fine.

Old 25-06-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hkn hkn is offline

wrote:

[...]

well, me neither, i don't grow roses, but it sounds interesting, may
i know the name of the roses
Old 25-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon[_10_] View Post

wrote:
-

[...]

I stand by my original comment - Gallicas are not best suited to restricted pot growing. Other - more modern - roses are not so fussy.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ainer_rose.asp

Old 26-06-2009, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jon" wrote in message

I have two of the above roses that I purchased recently. I planted into
large pots to the depth there were in their pots with a small handful of
blood,fish and bone. I have also fed them with diluted liquid tomato feed
but I have noticed that the flower buds have started to droop over and the
stem behind the bud has thinned and turned brown, and the buds have died
off. I have cut the roses back and have continued watering and feeding
them as advised by the garden centre I purchased them from. Has anyone
heard of this before and what is it called? I have learned that these old
roses only flower once a year, so have given up hope for any more blooms
this year. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Looking in The Rose Expert by Dr. Hessayon, there is an illustration of a
brown bud, although it is not drooping. The text says that young buds are
dead and withered. There are small brown spots on young leaves, which
become distorted. The culprit is the Capsid Bug, a bright green insect
which moves rapidly when disturbed. *If* this rings bells with you, the
advice is to spray the soil and plants with Fenitrothion.

I should mention that my book is 13 years old, so it is possible that
Fenitrothion is no longer produced. However, I would have thought that
another systemic insecticide would do the job just as well. I suggest you
peruse a few labels at your local gc.

Spider