Old 27-06-2009, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Paulownia tomentosa

I was forced to move my Pauwlonia earlier this year. Unfortunately it
was already in leaf and is not looking too well at the moment. It
stands around 1.5m and had been in it's previous position for 2 yrs.
The few remaining leaves are small (compared with previous years) and
are not showing signs of further growth, although they are still
intact. I believe they are hardy plants and can even withstand fire
damage. Has anyone any hints or tips to ensure its survival?
Old 27-06-2009, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Justin Thyme wrote:
I was forced to move my Pauwlonia earlier this year. Unfortunately it
was already in leaf and is not looking too well at the moment. It
stands around 1.5m and had been in it's previous position for 2 yrs.
The few remaining leaves are small (compared with previous years) and
are not showing signs of further growth, although they are still
intact. I believe they are hardy plants and can even withstand fire
damage. Has anyone any hints or tips to ensure its survival?

Have four i grew from seed. I "stool" them every year. Cut them down hard to
ground level in mid March. Then in spring / early summer select the fattest
new shoot and allow each one a single stem.

They grow HUGE leaves, some 3ft across and they're mixed with Busa basjoo to
give a jungle effect. Stunning plants!

I worried the first year, cutting them back so hard. But they now throw up
shoots from all around the root system that have to be pinched out. very
sturdy plants!

Although I would think that if you've just moved yours keep them moist until
they establish themselves again and maybe cut them back a bit to reduce
water loss through the foliage. They will shoot again from the leaf axils a
bit like tomato plants.

Old 27-06-2009, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Les Hemmings wrote:

They grow HUGE leaves, some 3ft across and they're mixed with Busa
basjoo to give a jungle effect. Stunning plants!

Ooops.. Musa basjoo

Old 28-06-2009, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://kippenjungle.nl/PLAATJESMAP/paulownia_pose.jpg