Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Registered User

Default flower/plant id please

hello, my wfe has seen these growing wild and liked the colour, could someone please tell me what they are and are they suitable for a small garden?
many thanks

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...n/DSC_8509.jpg
Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1572 View Post
hello, my wfe has seen these growing wild and liked the colour, could someone please tell me what they are and are they suitable for a small garden?
many thanks

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...n/DSC_8509.jpg

Where did she see them growing wild? They are mophead Hydrangeas, and perfectly suitable for a small garden. If she saw them in Cornwall, then the blue is because the soil there is highly acid. In alkaline soil they flower pink.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Where did she see them growing wild? They are mophead Hydrangeas, and perfectly suitable for a small garden. If she saw them in Cornwall, then the blue is because the soil there is highly acid. In alkaline soil they flower pink.
thanks for the reply, they are in a place near Wigan.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1572 View Post
thanks for the reply, they are in a place near Wigan.
here is another photo

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...n/DSC_8510.jpg
Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have them growing wild on the Cliff Walk between Sandown and Shanklin on
the Isle of Wight.

Can get very large and sprawley and need to be cut hard back if you don't
have the room. My parents had one near one of the front entrances to their
hotel and it regularly had to be 'hacked' back

Mike

--
..
"beccabunga" wrote in message

alan1572;854670 Wrote:
hello, my wfe has seen these growing wild and liked the colour, could
someone please tell me what they are and are they suitable for a small
garden?
many thanks

[image:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22.../DSC_8509.jpg]