Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default leaf symptom pics

Hi,

I don't want to bore people with too many details but I have been
having this ongoing problem with broadleaved trees and shrubs;
basically, premature leaf fall and die-back of the branches which
eventually kills the plant. It showed first on hazels (and I've lost
some), became a bit more widespread to other species last year, and
this year seems to have become really very promiscuous --almost any
woody plant. Professional opinion says there is no pathogen which
affects such a wide range of plant species, but *something* is.
Question is, what?

I've scanned a number of affected leaves from various plants to show
the progression of symptoms. To me, it looks as though all these are
suffering from the same thing, and it is happening to them all at more
or less the same time. I'd be very grateful if some experienced
horticultural minds would take a look at the images to see if they are
reminded of anything, or have seen anything like this before. If not a
pathogen, perhaps some kind of nutrient deficiency? Microscopic mite?
http://tinyurl.com/knad4o

Thanks,

brian mitchell
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

Try looking up Fireblight and see if that fits your symptoms
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:02:31 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Try looking up Fireblight and see if that fits your symptoms

it's not that, I'm glad to say, though I'm fairly sure it is also a
bacterial infection. Do you have any other ideas?

And, if I wanted to feed the trees to encourage the new growth, what
would be best to use, do you know?