Old 15-07-2009, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes - Yellow & Brown Leaves

Hi all

I have 3 2m rows of early potatoes sowed about 2 weeks apart - sorry can't
remember the variety.
The rows are close (about 18").
All looked healthy until about 4 weeks ago The leaves of the older plants
have yellowed with brown spotting.
I have googled and find it may be iron, potassium, calcium deficiency - not
clear which.
We have dug 2 plants which yielded reasonable size, but low number of
potatoes.

Is there anything I can do at this late stage to recover the
situation/improve the quality or volume of yield?

The youngest row has not yet succumbed.

TIA

Phil

Old 15-07-2009, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:02:06 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Hi all

I have 3 2m rows of early potatoes sowed about 2 weeks apart - sorry can't
remember the variety.
The rows are close (about 18").
All looked healthy until about 4 weeks ago The leaves of the older plants
have yellowed with brown spotting.
I have googled and find it may be iron, potassium, calcium deficiency - not
clear which.
We have dug 2 plants which yielded reasonable size, but low number of
potatoes.

Is there anything I can do at this late stage to recover the
situation/improve the quality or volume of yield?

The youngest row has not yet succumbed.

TIA

Phil

Mine died because I sprayed stuff on them and don't know what it was.
There's some right bobbly spuds come out though - someone said that
was excess lime (didn't put any on) and someone else said it was
blight and someone else said he has blight on the brain... (Spuds had
some brown mushy bits on and were black underneath if you cut them...)
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 15-07-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in
. uk:

Hi all

I have 3 2m rows of early potatoes sowed about 2 weeks apart - sorry
can't remember the variety.
The rows are close (about 18").
All looked healthy until about 4 weeks ago The leaves of the older
plants have yellowed with brown spotting.
I have googled and find it may be iron, potassium, calcium deficiency
- not clear which.
We have dug 2 plants which yielded reasonable size, but low number of
potatoes.

Is there anything I can do at this late stage to recover the
situation/improve the quality or volume of yield?

The youngest row has not yet succumbed.

TIA

Phil

Could it be that the potatoes are ready to dig?

My fathers potatoes were always as you describe, mine are too.

Your youngest row would support this arguement.

I think the theory is that foilage dies off to put all energy into maturing
the potato, though the low yield you mention may be due to lack of
nutrients THROUGHOUT their growing life ie: manuring/enriching soil prior
to planting and feeding /watering regularly until harvest.

I am only in my second year with potatoes, and my first year was not too
successful so I manured a plot last autumn and left another plot without
anything but water. The manured plot is about 5 times more successful, with
more potatoes and MUCH earlier.

I don't think you can remedy this situation now, but think of next year!

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Part_No
Old 15-07-2009, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Part_No wrote:
[...]

One way to ascertain if it is likely to be blight is joint Bligh****ch
( /www.bligh****ch.co.uk ) if requested they will email you during the
blight "season" and let you know if there is any in your area. So far
mine is clear! :-)

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 16-07-2009, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:03:40 +0100, Broadback wrote:

One way to ascertain if it is likely to be blight is joint Bligh****ch
( /www.bligh****ch.co.uk )

Yes, it's great fun registering because they ask how many acres of
potatoes you are growing Working out what 50 square feet came to in
acres was interesting to say the least.

Old 16-07-2009, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:03:40 +0100, Broadback wrote:

One way to ascertain if it is likely to be blight is joint
Bligh****ch ( /www.bligh****ch.co.uk )

Yes, it's great fun registering because they ask how many acres of
potatoes you are growing Working out what 50 square feet came to in
acres was interesting to say the least.

Hmm.. better not ask about my tub then... g