Old 25-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered User

Location: The Garden of England
Question Please identfy this plant?

We've lived here for 8 years and this plant has not stopped growing! this is the first year that it has flowered, as you can see from the images the stems of the flower reach quite a length 4-5 ft! the overall hight of this plant is not 10-12 ft including the flowering parts.

I used to like it but has now taken over so much of our garden that all I want to do is remove it! but it is so tough I don't really know where to start tackling it!

If someone could identify it and let me know how deep the root might be, and give me advice on removal, I would appreciate it. Also, does it have any value to anybody out there? would it survive being dug up?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...eat=directlink

Thanks

Lawrie
A gardening philistine
Kent
Old 25-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
[...]

New Zealand Flax [Phormium].

It is a toughie and if it is a mature plant, you will need a mechanical digger to get it out. Try chopping off the offsets round the edge to reduce it.
Old 25-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Registered User

Location: The Garden of England

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
New Zealand Flax [Phormium].

It is a toughie and if it is a mature plant, you will need a mechanical digger to get it out. Try chopping off the offsets round the edge to reduce it.
Thanks for the advice

Lawrie