Old 30-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered User

Question please help identify

Hi all - I have a small bush/tree in the garden I bought house last year and now for 2 seasons I have yet to see it flower or do something. June time it has loads of the buds shown in image but again as last year they have all but one vanished, either I have incredibly intelligent wildlife or my neighbours are pinching them, if it's wildlife I can start to protect them but I am unsure. The buds are firmly attached to the branches so I woudn't have thought they would fall off, they are about 2 inches long.

I have no idea what the tree/shrub/bush is (I am new to gardening since buying my house which has a very estabilished garden) so any help would be great.

I have uploaded an image for you to view.

http://img124.imageshack.us/i/0001140.jpg/

Thanks in advance
Old 30-07-2009, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default please help identify

On 30 July, 19:27, bluebelly
wrote:
Hi all - I have a small bush/tree in the garden I bought house last year
and now for 2 seasons I have yet to see it flower or do something. June
time it has loads of the buds shown in image but again as last year
they have all but one vanished, either I have incredibly intelligent
wildlife or my neighbours are pinching them, if it's wildlife I can
start to protect them but I am unsure. The buds are firmly attached to
the branches so I woudn't have thought they would fall off, they are
about 2 inches long.

I have no idea what the tree/shrub/bush is (I am new to gardening since
buying my house which has a very estabilished garden) so any help would
be great.

I have uploaded an image for you to view.

http://tinyurl.com/ml6y6t

Thanks in advance

--
bluebelly

My first thought is that it is a Loquat
http://www.kew.org/ksheets/loquats.html
This answers why the buds fall off.
My 2 bushes have yet to show a flower bud.
David Hill
Old 30-07-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebelly" wrote in message

[...]

I think it may be a Magnolia grandiflora, or a Magnolia of some kind. M.
grandifloras, though, often have year-round sporadic flowering, rather than
a seasonal flush, which means you don't notice it flowering unless you look
carefully - not at all like the M. soulangeana or M. stellata types, which
are all too obviously in flower :~).

Spider

Old 30-07-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"bluebelly" wrote in message

[...]

It certainly looks like a Magnolia or Liriodendron.

someone

Old 30-07-2009, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 30 July, 19:27, bluebelly
wrote:
snip

My first thought is that it is a Loquat
http://www.kew.org/ksheets/loquats.html
This answers why the buds fall off.
My 2 bushes have yet to show a flower bud.
David Hill

It's not a loquat. I have a loquat tree growing from a seed I planted in
1990 and it has grown into a nice small tree overlooking my pond. 2006 was
an extremely hot summer and the tree produced lots of heads of flowers in
late November (!). Spring 2007 was quite wet, if I recall, and the flowers
were still on there, although looking sad. In the autumn of 2007 I had one
(1) loquat fruit, which I cut in half and shared with my partner. It tasted
just like a loquat :-).

Since then, nothing. It seems to need a really hot period and a quite cold
period to produce fruit. The flower heads are delightful, with a wonderful
perfume. Twenty years of growing, with only one fruit, not sure I can make
a living out of this species.

someone

Old 31-07-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:05:10 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

"bluebelly" wrote in message

[...]

Definitely not liriodendron.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-07-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-30 19:27:23 +0100, bluebelly
said:

Hi all - I have a small bush/tree in the garden I bought house last year
and now for 2 seasons I have yet to see it flower or do something. June
time it has loads of the buds shown in image but again as last year
they have all but one vanished, either I have incredibly intelligent
wildlife or my neighbours are pinching them, if it's wildlife I can
start to protect them but I am unsure. The buds are firmly attached to
the branches so I woudn't have thought they would fall off, they are
about 2 inches long.

I have no idea what the tree/shrub/bush is (I am new to gardening since
buying my house which has a very estabilished garden) so any help would
be great.

I have uploaded an image for you to view.

http://tinyurl.com/ml6y6t

Thanks in advance

I don't think those are buds. I think they're the seed heads of a
Magnolia of some sort. Is it possible that you just don't see it
flowering because it's out of sight of the house or because of your
work hours (starting early, finishing late) etc? If you can keep a
close look out next spring for buds, which are usually smooth and
conical in shape, you might be able to take a photo which would ID the
plant. I'm wondering about Magnolia wiesneri or something like that so
will have to go out and look at ours now!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-07-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"bluebelly" wrote in message

[...]

Definitely a magnolia, but isn't that a seedhead rather than a bud? Seems
to me that magnolias often produce seedheads even when they haven't been
fertilised, and they soon fall off.

Depending on which magnolia it is, they can be a bit pernickety. I have
liliflora nigra, and some years it hardly produces any flowers at all.
AFAIUI, magnolias start production of next year's flowers at the end of the
previous summer, so if the plants are stressed then, flowering may be
impaired the next year. If it's not too late, a liberal dose of tomato
fertilizer now may help it to flower next year.

--
Jeff

Old 31-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Edinburgh, Scotland.
Thumbs up

I would say Mag' seed heads...check out this pic
http://home.att.net/~SpanishMoss/treepod1.jpg
Captain Wilksey.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
I would say Mag' seed heads...check out this pic
http://home.att.net/~SpanishMoss/treepod1.jpg
Captain Wilksey.
It does look just like Magnolia, both leaf and seed pod. The curiosity is how it got to having the seedpods without you noticing it flowered, since I guess the flowers were quite big. Maybe you weren't there when it flowered? They don't last long. It is not uncommon for the seedpods to fall off, usually only a few ripen and mature.

There are so many magnolias you can't expect us to identify it exactly, and certainly not without seeing the flower. It's definitely not Mag. grandiflora though.

It's looking a touch chlorotic (what happens to acid-loving plants when the soil isn't as acid as they would like). Perhaps some rhododendon feed would help it.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Spider" wrote in message

"bluebelly" wrote in message

[...]

The flower buds look nothing like magnolia
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Spider" wrote in message

"bluebelly" wrote in message

[...]

Should have said definately not a magnolia flower bud, may be a magnolia
seed head