Old 13-08-2009, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn care; Scarifying puzzle.

For as long as I can recall I held that Autumn is the best time to
scarify a lawn, and even experience one all to memorable spring time
scarifying long-term disaster, but I couldn't remember the technical
reasons; so, out of curiosity I went looking; I found some advice here
that dates back to 2002.

The advice given then upheld the Autumn preference adding that in
autumn the grass is producing side shoots (tillering) and that in
spring scarifying removes new growth, stunting growth, allowing gaps
between grass to get colonised by weeds.

On average, lawn-care, garden help sites also give autumn as the best
time, but with one notable exception, a lawn-care service provider.
And it worth mentioning that from observation, a greater number of
people seem to wrongly think spring time is better;

I'll assume the reason why it's best to scarify in autumn is that
though surely it would also remove the side shoots, there wont be so
much weed growth in winter that the new gtrimmed growth spurt in
spring will be able to handle unchecked;

Anyhow, seeing as it's coming to that time of year some of you might
be interested to know about stuff like this.
Old 14-08-2009, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect another reason for doing it in spring is that the lawn tends to be
drier then; that certainly applies to mine. Raking mine when it is at all
damp means pulling out the grass as well as the thatch. It then seems to
follow that, with the lawn less choked, spring is a good time to sow seed
when it's less likely to be cut back by frost.

I confess I'm guilty of not scarifying, or aerating, my lawn for a couple of
years. It's beginning to show :~(.

Spider

Old 14-08-2009, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 1:46*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

[...]

Spring? Autumn surely?
Especially since you mention it as being "another" reason for doing
it, when I hadn't offered a reason for doing it in spring..

Old 14-08-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
On Aug 14, 1:46 pm, "Spider" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

[...]

:~) I see your puzzlement. In fact, I was playing devil's advocate, since
you said a greater number of people wrongly think springtime is better.
Sorry to be confusing.

Spider

Old 14-08-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 10:32*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Aug 14, 1:46 pm, "Spider" wrote:

"aquachimp" wrote in message

[...]

Ah fair enough, but then that leaves the question as to how might your
ground be drier in spring seeing as that follow what is ordinarily a
wetter time of year than summer, coupled with winter-spring not having
had the advantages of summer temperatures for drying out?

Old 14-08-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

14, 1:46 pm, "Spider" wrote:

"aqua

"aquachimp" wrote in message

On Aug chimp" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps because I'm talking about April-time when there are usually drying
winds. I'm also on high ground, so there's not a lot of shelter; the winds
are very drying. Add that to the fact that high ground creates greater
drainage, and you have a dryish lawn - even on my clay soil. In autumn,
when conditions should be better, my poor lawn is barely recovering from the
summer drought, so I tend to put off tlc until the spring.

Another reference in your original post was to a lawn care service provider.
Although you may think that a lawn care professional would do the job at the
"right" time, ie autumn, you may be sure that their customers call on them
in spring after a couple of mowings have revealed a tatty lawn.

Hope this clarifies my ramblings :~)
Spider