Old 21-08-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mint IDs

Anyone recognise these mints

1) variegated mint - I think that the leaves are too narrow for ginger
mint - being grown on an allotment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3843470338/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3843470502/

2) another mint being grown on a different allotment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3842680241/

3) and a 3rd mint growing in a grass verge (about a yard from a lemon
balm, so perhaps the inhabitants of the house opposite at one time
colonised this verge).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3842679825/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-08-2009, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
Anyone recognise these mints

1) variegated mint - I think that the leaves are too narrow for ginger
mint - being grown on an allotment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3843470338/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3843470502/

When I used to grow one like that, I knew it as pineapple mint. That
doesn't mean to say it was right!

The one I bought as ginger mint had leaves the texture of apple mint
(though a lot smaller) and white rather than gold variegation.
--
Kay
Old 21-08-2009, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
Anyone recognise these mints

1) variegated mint - I think that the leaves are too narrow for ginger
mint - being grown on an allotment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3843470338/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3843470502/

When I used to grow one like that, I knew it as pineapple mint. That
doesn't mean to say it was right!

The one I bought as ginger mint had leaves the texture of apple mint
(though a lot smaller) and white rather than gold variegation.

You might have swapped those two in your recollection. According to the
RHS Encylopedia of Herbs pineapple mint is Mentha suaveolens
'Variegata', which is a white variegated (margined) form of applemint.
Gingermint is Mentha x gracilis 'Variegata', which is a yellow
variegated (centrally marked) form of redmint.

I'm not sure whether the photographed plant falls within the bounds of
variation of gingermint (which I've seen elsewhere), or whether it's a
parallel cultivar of a different mint species or hybrid. But gingermint
(usually) has linear yellow markings along the midrib and secondary
veins, and this as somewhat irregular markings.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-08-2009, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 21 Aug, 21:07, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , K
writes

[...]

First set are ginger mint, the last could be apple mint though our
apple mint is a lottaller, but it depends on the soil.
Apple mint is a great mint for mint sauce and new potatoes.
David Hill
Old 23-08-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 21 Aug, 21:07, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , K
writes

[...]

Did you mean the last one, or the second one? I was wondering whether
the second was apple mint, and the third one doesn't match any apple
mints that I've photographed in various places - I thought maybe
peppermint, except that I don't think it matches the plant (not water
mint) growing in a canal bank that I had identified as peppermint.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley