Old 22-08-2009, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlia Question

My Mum has a massive Dahlia in a pot in her garden, she is very pleased
with it and would like it to survive till next year. Any
recommendations? I thought if she gets someone to lift the pot into a
her summerhouse that would protect it from the frost, maybe she could
cover the pot with something. She has heard you're supposed to dig them
up and store them, sounds a bit of a faff to me
Old 22-08-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gribela" wrote...
My Mum has a massive Dahlia in a pot in her garden, she is very pleased
with it and would like it to survive till next year. Any recommendations?
I thought if she gets someone to lift the pot into a her summerhouse that
would protect it from the frost, maybe she could cover the pot with
something. She has heard you're supposed to dig them up and store them,
sounds a bit of a faff to me

Depends where you are in the UK, we have had a Dahlia in a large clay pot
outside in the front garden for probably 10 years or more and it stays there
all year with no protection in winter. Originally it was surrounded with lax
fuchsias but they all got finally killed by last winter whereas the Dahlia
has shown no sign of having been damaged.

If you want to, just put the pot in a frost proof shed/summerhouse and keep
it totally dry until next spring when it will show little green shoots and
watering can start again. (and you can take cuttings to increase your stock)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden