Old 23-08-2009, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pears

The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but too
far off being ripe.

What can one do with pears apart from the instant use options, not really
jam making material are they?
Can they be frozen or do they go brown?

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162431.jpg

mark

Old 23-08-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
| The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but
too
| far off being ripe.
|
| What can one do with pears apart from the instant use options, not really
| jam making material are they?
| Can they be frozen or do they go brown?
|
| http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162431.jpg
|

| mark

Pear cider?

Old 23-08-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but
too far off being ripe.

What can one do with pears apart from the instant use options, not really
jam making material are they?
Can they be frozen or do they go brown?

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162431.jpg

Perhaps you will need to become a fruitarian!

Old 23-08-2009, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but
too far off being ripe.

What can one do with pears apart from the instant use options, not really
jam making material are they?
Can they be frozen or do they go brown?

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162431.jpg

mark

As always, the answer is...

chutney!!

Old 23-08-2009, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:37:33 +0100, mark wrote:

The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but
too far off being ripe.

What can one do with pears

Good old-fashioned bottling in Kilner jars.

Old 23-08-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Angela writes
Pear cider?

Cider is made from apples.
Perry is what can be made from pears
--
Kay
Old 23-08-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Angela writes
Pear cider?

Cider is made from apples.
Perry is what can be made from pears

Perry has to be made from perry pears. The drink made from any old
pears is called pear cider.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 23-08-2009, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, K wrote:

Pear cider?

Cider is made from apples.
Perry is what can be made from pears

Unfortunately there is a commercial concern now marketing "Pear cider"
so people are going to get confused. :-(

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 23-08-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, K wrote:

Pear cider?

Cider is made from apples.
Perry is what can be made from pears

Unfortunately there is a commercial concern now marketing "Pear cider"
so people are going to get confused. :-(

David

What is perry?

As cider is made from apples, perry is made from pears, not just any pear
though. These are perry pears, which tend to be smaller & harder then
dessert pears. Perry tends to be produced sweet or medium sweet although
Camra's 2003 National Bronze Perry was Barkers Dry from Worcestershire.
Perry also contains natural levels of non-fermentable sorbitol. Perry trees
while bearing fruit in 3/5 years will continue to produce fruit for 200 or
300 years which is much longer than apple trees, this has lead to the phrase
"plant perry for your heirs".

HTH
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 23-08-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Phil Cook wrote:

K wrote:

Pear cider?

Cider is made from apples.
Perry is what can be made from pears

Perry has to be made from perry pears. The drink made from any old
pears is called pear cider.

Quotation from Wikipedia:

"Pear cider is used as an alternative name to perry. This is often done
for marketing reasons: A recent resurgence in the popularity of perry in
the UK has seen various new products launched as 'pear cider', led by
brands such as Brothers and Bulmers. These brewers see the term as being
more understandable to the younger 18-34 demographic and a distinction
to previous brands associated with the word perry, such as Babycham and
Lambrini which are either associated with the female market or have
fallen out of fashion."

Commercially both cider and perry are made from special cultivars which
are strong in tannin but there is no justification for the assertion
that, to be called cider or perry, they *have* to be made from the
specified cultivars.

I make my own cider from specially selected French apple cultivars such
as Clos Renaud, Bisquet, Domaine and Bon Père. These are unpleasant as
eating apples but make fine cider which makes Strongbow taste like fizzy
water! While cider which is made from dessert apples tastes somewhat
disappointing (to my taste, at any rate) that does not prevent it from
being called cider. Likewise with perry.

David

Old 23-08-2009, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:00:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Perhaps you will need to become a fruitarian!

Bad idea. Fruitarian's are very unhealthy people. One that I knew died
just after his 30th birthday.

Two much fruit can kill!

Old 24-08-2009, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Perhaps you will need to become a fruitarian!

Bad idea. Fruitarian's are very unhealthy people. One that I knew died
just after his 30th birthday.

Two much fruit can kill!

ooeerr perhaps not then

Old 24-08-2009, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but
too far off being ripe.

What can one do with pears apart from the instant use options, not really
jam making material are they?
Can they be frozen or do they go brown?

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162431.jpg

mark

Of course you can make jam with them! Although just plain pear jam probably
would not be too popular, chopped and stewed and added to any other jam you
are making, they are fine. Some of the lumps will not disappear into mush
like apples but that only proves it is 'real home made jam made with real
fruit'.

I stew mine quartered or sliced and freeze in margarine tubs until I have
time for the jam-making.

Old 24-08-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Tahi wrote

"mark" wrote in message
news:OqqdnRKz0qlq4AzXnZ2dnUVZ8omdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
The pear tree is heavily laden. Pears are rock solid at the moment but
too far off being ripe.

What can one do with pears apart from the instant use options, not really
jam making material are they?
Can they be frozen or do they go brown?

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162431.jpg

mark

Of course you can make jam with them! Although just plain pear jam probably
would not be too popular, chopped and stewed and added to any other jam you
are making, they are fine. Some of the lumps will not disappear into mush
like apples but that only proves it is 'real home made jam made with real
fruit'.

I stew mine quartered or sliced and freeze in margarine tubs until I have
time for the jam-making.

Can you make jelly with them? Or even a solid pear 'cheese'? Pears are
delicious with proper cheese, and a nice set pear jelly, perhaps with
some thyme or rosemary in it.... well, I'd buy it!

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 24-08-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Perhaps you will need to become a fruitarian!

Bad idea. Fruitarian's are very unhealthy people. One that I knew died
just after his 30th birthday.

Two much fruit can kill!

In a QI programme it was stated that if you eat nothing but rabbit you
will die.
I believe the same of fruit.
It creates havoc in my insides, especially citrus fruits, and triggers
gout in my left foot. It also causes one of my daughters to have
severe cystitis.

Fruit is dangerous, and vegetables aren't much better as far as my
digestive system is concerned, but I do try to eat some..
I don't know why I ever bother to grow them.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 31-03-2003 12:20 AM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM