GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help needed with some ID, please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/186835-help-needed-some-id-please.html)

bob[_1_] 25-08-2009 06:55 PM

help needed with some ID, please

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

mark 25-08-2009 07:04 PM

help needed with some ID, please

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

mark 25-08-2009 07:16 PM

help needed with some ID, please

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

I'll go with Euphorbia lathyris
mark

bob[_1_] 25-08-2009 07:20 PM

help needed with some ID, please

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:04:20 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

that's the one - yes. Thanks!

JonC 25-08-2009 10:51 PM

wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

that's the one - yes. Thanks!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

24-8-4

This looks very much to me like Japanese Knotwwed. If this is the case you
had better dispose of it quick!!!!

someone 25-08-2009 11:30 PM

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

These are only guesses, but here goes:

24-8-1 - Euphorbia lathyrus (Mole plant)
24-8-2 - Brunnera (not sure which one, maybe macrophylla)
24-8-3 - unknown, need to see flower
24-8-4 - Japanese knotweed has been suggested, but could also be Pokeberry
(Phytolacca styraciflua)
24-8-5 - some Begonia or other

someone

K 26-08-2009 09:32 AM

help needed with some ID, please

JonC writes

wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

Yes, definitely Euphorbia lathyrus (caper spurge - but don't try using
the fruits instead of capers, they're poisonous)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

24-8-4

This looks very much to me like Japanese Knotwwed. If this is the case you
had better dispose of it quick!!!!

No, definitely not Japanese knotweed, which has spade-shaped leaves -
the leaf bases are not rounded like this. It could be the related
Persicaria wallichii, Himalayan knotweed.

--
Kay

Sacha[_4_] 26-08-2009 10:02 AM

On 2009-08-25 18:55:17 +0100, bob said:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. It doesn't! Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

Don't know but it's a wild flower or weed (depending on your pov) ;-)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

Don't know but it made me think of an Aralia of some sort.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

A balsam?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

Begonia foliosa, perhaps?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

bob[_1_] 26-08-2009 12:07 PM

help needed with some ID, please

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...

I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.

Sacha[_4_] 26-08-2009 12:15 PM

On 2009-08-26 12:07:17 +0100, bob said:

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...

I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.

There are other *much* more beautiful and interesting forms such as
E.mellifera, which has a lovely scent and E. polychroma just to name
two and depending a bit on where your garden is as to warmth, frost,
shelter, etc.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 26-08-2009 12:56 PM

help needed with some ID, please

In article ,
says...
JonC writes

wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

Yes, definitely Euphorbia lathyrus (caper spurge - but don't try using
the fruits instead of capers, they're poisonous)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

Looks like Campsis radicans

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

Looks like a begonia, possibly grandis

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Pam Moore[_2_] 26-08-2009 02:31 PM

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:02:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. It doesn't! Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

I may be wrong but if so, so is Bob Flowerdew. He said that the sap
was used to rub on moles on the skin. Don't know if that works either.

Pam in Bristol

beccabunga 26-08-2009 02:42 PM

#1 Euphorbia lathyrus
#2 Brunnera [probably the basic form, macrophylla, which has forget-me-not like flowers in spring, and is a self-seeding thug]
#3 Possibly the native avens, usually a weed. A flower would help to identify it properly, Also what the plant looks like at soil level.
#4 Certainly a form of knotweed, and since the flowers are white, probably the notorious Japanese form.
#5 A begonia, but which will take a lot of searching. There are hundreds.

Dave Hill 26-08-2009 02:50 PM

On 26 Aug, 14:31, Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:02:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. *It doesn't! *Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

I may be wrong but if so, so is Bob Flowerdew. *He said that the sap
was used to rub on moles on the skin. Don't know if that works either.

Pam in Bristol

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

It's Poke berry,
http://earthcaretaker.com/nativeplan...pokeberry.html

it's nothing like Jap. knotweed
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/japknot.htm

David Hill

Sacha[_4_] 26-08-2009 05:35 PM

On 2009-08-26 14:31:57 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:02:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. It doesn't! Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

I may be wrong but if so, so is Bob Flowerdew. He said that the sap
was used to rub on moles on the skin. Don't know if that works either.

Pam in Bristol

Really? The sap irritates the skin in a lot of people. But then that
could be the point - it irritates warts and moles out of business ;-)