Old 25-08-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default help needed with some ID, please

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

Old 25-08-2009, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

I'll go with Euphorbia lathyris
mark

Old 25-08-2009, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:04:20 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

that's the one - yes. Thanks!

Old 25-08-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

that's the one - yes. Thanks!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

24-8-4

This looks very much to me like Japanese Knotwwed. If this is the case you
had better dispose of it quick!!!!

Old 25-08-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

These are only guesses, but here goes:

24-8-1 - Euphorbia lathyrus (Mole plant)
24-8-2 - Brunnera (not sure which one, maybe macrophylla)
24-8-3 - unknown, need to see flower
24-8-4 - Japanese knotweed has been suggested, but could also be Pokeberry
(Phytolacca styraciflua)
24-8-5 - some Begonia or other

someone

Old 26-08-2009, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JonC writes

wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

Yes, definitely Euphorbia lathyrus (caper spurge - but don't try using
the fruits instead of capers, they're poisonous)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

??

24-8-4

This looks very much to me like Japanese Knotwwed. If this is the case you
had better dispose of it quick!!!!

No, definitely not Japanese knotweed, which has spade-shaped leaves -
the leaf bases are not rounded like this. It could be the related
Persicaria wallichii, Himalayan knotweed.

--
Kay
Old 26-08-2009, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-25 18:55:17 +0100, bob said:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. It doesn't! Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-2.jpg

Don't know but it's a wild flower or weed (depending on your pov) ;-)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

Don't know but it made me think of an Aralia of some sort.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

A balsam?

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

Begonia foliosa, perhaps?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2009, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...

I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.
Old 26-08-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 12:07:17 +0100, bob said:

thanks to all for input. I'll be taking a look at some pics on line
to see how these compare...

I've previous experience of Euphorbia and I remember it became
rampant. I think it might have to go.

There are other *much* more beautiful and interesting forms such as
E.mellifera, which has a lovely scent and E. polychroma just to name
two and depending a bit on where your garden is as to warmth, frost,
shelter, etc.

Old 26-08-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
JonC writes

wrote:

bob wrote in message ...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

I think this is a Euphorbia which I only know as '4 by 4'.
Does it have a white sap if you snapped a piece off?
mark

Yes, definitely Euphorbia lathyrus (caper spurge - but don't try using
the fruits instead of capers, they're poisonous)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-3.jpg

Looks like Campsis radicans

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-5.jpg

Looks like a begonia, possibly grandis

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 26-08-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:02:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. It doesn't! Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

I may be wrong but if so, so is Bob Flowerdew. He said that the sap
was used to rub on moles on the skin. Don't know if that works either.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered User

#1 Euphorbia lathyrus
#2 Brunnera [probably the basic form, macrophylla, which has forget-me-not like flowers in spring, and is a self-seeding thug]
#3 Possibly the native avens, usually a weed. A flower would help to identify it properly, Also what the plant looks like at soil level.
#4 Certainly a form of knotweed, and since the flowers are white, probably the notorious Japanese form.
#5 A begonia, but which will take a lot of searching. There are hundreds.
Old 26-08-2009, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 26 Aug, 14:31, Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:02:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. *It doesn't! *Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

I may be wrong but if so, so is Bob Flowerdew. *He said that the sap
was used to rub on moles on the skin. Don't know if that works either.

Pam in Bristol

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-4.jpg

It's Poke berry,
http://earthcaretaker.com/nativeplan...pokeberry.html

it's nothing like Jap. knotweed
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/japknot.htm

David Hill
Old 26-08-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-26 14:31:57 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:02:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...ser/24-8-1.jpg

Euphorbia - the one often known as the mole plant because it's said to
keep moles away. It doesn't! Seeds itself all over the place. aka
caper spurge.

I may be wrong but if so, so is Bob Flowerdew. He said that the sap
was used to rub on moles on the skin. Don't know if that works either.

Pam in Bristol

Really? The sap irritates the skin in a lot of people. But then that
could be the point - it irritates warts and moles out of business ;-)