Old 28-08-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water pool in garden

Water is collecting in my garden. The last time we emptied it there
was 80 gallons.
My neighbour has a pond and water feature, and my garden is wet near
our boundary, but they deny that their pond is leaking.
How can I prove that the water is coming from their pond?
Old 29-08-2009, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John" wrote in message
Water is collecting in my garden. The last time we emptied it there
was 80 gallons.
My neighbour has a pond and water feature, and my garden is wet near
our boundary, but they deny that their pond is leaking.
How can I prove that the water is coming from their pond?

Make a pond and water feature in your garden using their water. This is what
my daughter and son in law did. Water was coming through their land to the
village pond. The lowest part, just before it went out of their boundary to
the Village pond was always wet. Got a digger in and made a pond. Ducks.
Moorhens. All sorts of wild life now.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 29-08-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

it could
well be natural in which case Mikes suggestion is a good one!
May also be worth checking whether any old drainage systems, culverts and
the like may have become blocked and are there any soakaways or septic
tanks. Sometimes it can all be down to recent buildings going up near
you, it does not take much to alter the natuaral drainage patterns
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

and if it is natural http://www.myalbum.com/Album=LXCKYVWV , start digging
;-)

(Sorry about the couple in the photo it was at a BBQ/Party)

Old 31-08-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I might start with the water company, then the dye (if they agree)

Old 31-08-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-31 18:16:16 +0100, John said:

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I might start with the water company, then the dye (if they agree)

The dye is a good idea. I did it in the garden I had previously. It
all had to do with culverts under the road, who was responsible for
flooding in the lane, a stream under my garden in a collapsed culvert
etc. By putting dye into the stream at the mill cottage which was
placed before the stream crossed that lane and watching water flow into
the exposed culvert under my lawn, I was able to show that the problem
was that of the Council, not mine. They'd diverted the stream into
culverts under the lane, not made a map of it (years before) and were
trying to make me responsible for thousands of pounds worth of work as
a 'riparian owner'! Luckily, one of the elder statesmen of the
village who remembered the culvert being built, did some gardening work
for me and told the man from the Council exactly what was going on
under the tarmac of the lane. I may say, that the Council tried it on
with the people who bought my house and because of the detail I was
able to give the new owners, the Council got very short shrift from
them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com