Old 14-09-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.
Old 14-09-2009, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:44:11 +0100, gray
wrote:

How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.

Don't tell him, Pike.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 14-09-2009, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 14, 7:16*pm, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ wrote:

How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??
Any definitive answers plz.

Don't tell him, Pike.

Isn't the gage the one with the numbers and the little arrow, Capt.
Mainwaring?

Stupid boy!
Old 15-09-2009, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On Sep 14, 7:16 pm, ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹ wrote:
How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??
Any definitive answers plz.

Don't tell him, Pike.

Isn't the gage the one with the numbers and the little arrow, Capt.
Mainwaring?

Stupid boy!

Don't panic Don't panic

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Old 15-09-2009, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.

A photo might help

Pam in Bristol

Old 15-09-2009, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pam Moore writes
wrote:

How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.

A photo might help

Not definitive (may even be wrong), and others will know more.

If it's big and plum-shaped, it's a plum. Gages on the whole are a bit
smaller, a bit rounder ended, and uniform colouring - ie a yellow thing
with pink flushing will be a plum rather than a gage. Damsons are
smaller plum shaped things and usually dark purple. Cherry sized things
with a plum stone inside are cherry plums or myrobalan. Bullaces I've
never got to grips with.
--
Kay
Old 15-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.
If you have a gage, bullace or damson in front of you, then you also have a plum in front of you.

I don't think "gage" is a valid separate category, rather a vague term for a group of certain small roundish plums.

Damson is a subspecies of plums, specifically Prunus domestica subsp. institia.

But many of the "damsons" we grow are not subsp. institia, rather they are plums which have been bred to be like damsons. Rather like John Downie, the most popular variety of "crab apple", is actually just a variety of "eating apple" Malus domestica. Though species crab apples are also available.

My understanding of "bullace" is that it means something that is a wild damson, or close to it. But again, it is not used in a consistent way, and may just refer to a variety that is more like a wild one.
Old 15-09-2009, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gray" wrote in message
How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.

The colour!

If it is a redish colour it is a plum, if it is green it is a gage!

Alan

Old 15-09-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
echinosum wrote:
gray;864450 Wrote:

How can I tell the difference between a plum and a gage ??

If I have a 'plum' in front of me how do I know whether its a plum or
a gage, or a bullace or a damson.

Any definitive answers plz.

If you have a gage, bullace or damson in front of you, then you also
have a plum in front of you.

That is definitely correct.

I don't think "gage" is a valid separate category, rather a vague term
for a group of certain small roundish plums.

Typically ones that are good to eat uncooked.

Damson is a subspecies of plums, specifically Prunus domestica subsp.
institia.

Or not even a subspecies, depending on your viewpoint! I can't
keep track of which sect is in the ascendent this week ....

My understanding of "bullace" is that it means something that is a wild
damson, or close to it. But again, it is not used in a consistent way,
and may just refer to a variety that is more like a wild one.

It's certainly used in that way. The wild bullace is simply the
plum that arrived at the same time as the neolithic farmers. Whether
they brought it, or it was spread by birds, is a good question.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.