Old 16-09-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yellow pond Iris

Hello, can you help
I have collected seeds from my Iris plants this year
and I wonder the best way to sow these

Also if they germinate how long before they will flower

TIA ............................Leslie

Old 16-09-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
Hello, can you help
I have collected seeds from my Iris plants this year
and I wonder the best way to sow these

Also if they germinate how long before they will flower

TIA ............................Leslie

Hi I did that last year. I think I sewed them immediately in a pot and kept
them wet and quite cold (frosty) during winter.
Here they are. http://members.aon.at/supervague/images/iris.jpg (The pot is
9 cm/ 3.5in)
I think it will take them another 3-5 years to flower.

Greets Willi

Old 16-09-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote ...
Hello, can you help
I have collected seeds from my Iris plants this year
and I wonder the best way to sow these

Also if they germinate how long before they will flower

You want more of those ugly thugs?
I got rid of mine some years back and now have beautiful I. leavigata and I.
sibirica instead.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therefore View Post
Hello, can you help
I have collected seeds from my Iris plants this year
and I wonder the best way to sow these

Also if they germinate how long before they will flower

TIA ............................Leslie

I had a great success sowing yellow flag iris seeds in a shallow seed tray, I simply placed the tray in the unheated sunny room in Autumn and kept slightly moist then come early spring watered more and more and by March the seeds were shooting up and as they got bigger I transferred to peat pots and then later planted in my pond margins. I think it takes them a few years to mature and flower tho
Old 22-06-2011, 09:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Therefore" wrote ...
Hello, can you help
I have collected seeds from my Iris plants this year
and I wonder the best way to sow these

Also if they germinate how long before they will flower

You want more of those ugly thugs?
I got rid of mine some years back and now have beautiful I. leavigata and I.
sibirica instead.
Will those grow actually in the pond or just in damp soil beside the pond?

Thugs I agree, but ugly?
__________________

Old 22-06-2011, 09:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Therefore" wrote ...
Hello, can you help
I have collected seeds from my Iris plants this year
and I wonder the best way to sow these

Also if they germinate how long before they will flower

You want more of those ugly thugs?
I got rid of mine some years back and now have beautiful I. leavigata and I.
sibirica instead.
Will those grow actually in the pond or just in damp soil beside the pond?

As to the yellow flags - Thugs I agree, but ugly?