Old 16-09-2009, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garlic

Hello,

Is it true that I can grow garlic just by planting a clove from an ordinary
supermarket bulb?

Can I plant them in tubs, and can I grow them over winter in a G'house ?

Thanks

KK

Old 16-09-2009, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

dido22 wrote:
Hello,

Is it true that I can grow garlic just by planting a clove from an
ordinary supermarket bulb?

Yes. But you will probably get a better crop growing one that is more
nearly suited to our climate rather than a Mediterranean one. If you
have a bit left over that is already growing them by all means plant it...

Garden centres and market stalls sell them for about the same price as
the supermarket stuff.

Can I plant them in tubs, and can I grow them over winter in a G'house ?

It will grow outside in well drained soil and need a bit of cold and
frost to encourage bulb formation rather than flowering. They do OK on
my heavy clay with a bit of help from grit and sand. Guidelines for
growing online at:

http://www.garlicworld.co.uk/grower/...nes/index.html

Dunno if the bulbs they offer are any good. I pick mine and then grow on
a few cloves for the following year.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-09-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
dido22 wrote:
Hello,

Is it true that I can grow garlic just by planting a clove from an
ordinary supermarket bulb?

Yes. But you will probably get a better crop growing one that is more
nearly suited to our climate rather than a Mediterranean one. If you have
a bit left over that is already growing them by all means plant it...

Unless you know it is Isle of Wight Garlic

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM