Old 25-09-2009, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default to compost or not?

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even, so
are they suitable for the heap?

Unlikely. Put them in the dustbin

Tina

Old 26-09-2009, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even, so
are they suitable for the heap?

Unlikely. Put them in the dustbin

Tina

why not?

What is in Everton Mints or Werthers lollies that make them unsuitable for
composting?

Surely if we eat them, there would not be anything dangerous.

rob

Old 26-09-2009, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even, so
are they suitable for the heap?

Unlikely. Put them in the dustbin

Tina

why not?

What is in Everton Mints or Werthers lollies that make them unsuitable for
composting?

Surely if we eat them, there would not be anything dangerous.

There is nothing dangerous in them but compost heaps work better with
organic matter, like weeds, veggie peelings - not sweets.

Tina

Old 27-09-2009, 03:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even,
so are they suitable for the heap?

Unlikely. Put them in the dustbin

Tina

why not?

What is in Everton Mints or Werthers lollies that make them unsuitable
for composting?

Surely if we eat them, there would not be anything dangerous.

There is nothing dangerous in them but compost heaps work better with
organic matter, like weeds, veggie peelings - not sweets.

Tina

aure, maybe no ideal for the compost heap like grass clippings or tea
leaves. But they are suitable for the compost heap eh, they do no harm.

rob

Old 27-09-2009, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even, so
are they suitable for the heap?

Unlikely. Put them in the dustbin

Tina

why not?

What is in Everton Mints or Werthers lollies that make them unsuitable for
composting?

Surely if we eat them, there would not be anything dangerous.

There is nothing dangerous in them but compost heaps work better with
organic matter, like weeds, veggie peelings - not sweets.

Tina

There is something vaguely Pythonesque about this discussion...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 28-09-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

George.com writes

aure, maybe no ideal for the compost heap like grass clippings or tea
leaves. But they are suitable for the compost heap eh, they do no harm.

They won't do any harm. But they are basically sugar, they won't do any
good. They'll slowly dissolve and leach through the heap. They won't add
any bulk to it.
--
Kay
Old 28-09-2009, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Christina Websell
writes

"George.com" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
I have found a few packets of sweets, e.g. Everton mints, werthers
originals, etc, all well out of date. I don't fancy or like them even,
so
are they suitable for the heap?

Unlikely. Put them in the dustbin

Tina

why not?

What is in Everton Mints or Werthers lollies that make them unsuitable
for
composting?

Surely if we eat them, there would not be anything dangerous.

There is nothing dangerous in them but compost heaps work better with
organic matter, like weeds, veggie peelings - not sweets.

Tina

There is something vaguely Pythonesque about this discussion...
--

"Sweets, sweets, glorious sweets
don't add them to your compost heaps"

Old 28-09-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Christina Websell
writes

"George.com" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Sheila" wrote in message
[...]

That's more Flanders and Swann, isn't it?
:-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply