Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is this a morning glory?

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

This was given to me by a friend from his greenhouse, he had a trayful, very
dry, and all overgrown by the roots, there are plants and flowers coming out
of bottom of pot! The leaf is very luxuriant, and velvety.Its green but
underside is pink. Help would be appreciated.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

This was given to me by a friend from his greenhouse, he had a trayful,
very dry, and all overgrown by the roots, there are plants and flowers
coming out of bottom of pot! The leaf is very luxuriant, and velvety.Its
green but underside is pink. Help would be appreciated.

Rather out of focus to tell, but it could be an Asarina (Maurandya) or very
possibly a Gloxinia.

--
Jeff

Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote
http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

This was given to me by a friend from his greenhouse, he had a trayful,
very dry, and all overgrown by the roots, there are plants and flowers
coming out of bottom of pot! The leaf is very luxuriant, and velvety.Its
green but underside is pink. Help would be appreciated.

Archimenes, probably celsi, the hot water plant.
It will die back over winter so keep the pot perfectly dry then when the
weather starts to warm up repot the white maggot like roots in fresh potting
compost, careful with the watering at first until you see good growth then
start watering well and feeding well, keep the compost always moist in
summer. Sometimes with A celsi you get new small green rhizomes (or whatever
they are) growing on the stems and these can also be potted up.
Lovely plants IMO and there are some more beautiful hybrids about. I have a
pure white one and a white with purple throat all originally sent me by
someone on here.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 4 Oct, 16:54, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Sheila wrote:
http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

This was given to me by a friend from his greenhouse, he had a trayful,
very dry, and all overgrown by the roots, there are plants and flowers
coming out of bottom of pot! *The leaf is very luxuriant, and velvety..Its
green but underside is pink. *Help would be appreciated.

Rather out of focus to tell, but it could be an Asarina (Maurandya) or very
possibly a Gloxinia.

--
Jeff

Try achimenes
David Hill
Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

This was given to me by a friend from his greenhouse, he had a trayful,
very dry, and all overgrown by the roots, there are plants and flowers
coming out of bottom of pot! The leaf is very luxuriant, and velvety.Its
green but underside is pink. Help would be appreciated.

Rather out of focus to tell, but it could be an Asarina (Maurandya) or
very
possibly a Gloxinia.

--
Jeff

Try achimenes

Yes, thats the one, thanks very much!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote "Sheila" wrote
[...]

I forgot to mention that the roots/rhizomes are extremely delicate and will
break up into tiny bits at the slightest heavy-handedness.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I forgot to mention that the roots/rhizomes are extremely delicate and
will break up into tiny bits at the slightest heavy-handedness.

Thanks, I will be very careful, its looking lovely now, has 2 flowers on,
very pretty indeed.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sheila wrote:

Thanks, I will be very careful, its looking lovely now, has 2 flowers on,
very pretty indeed.

Talking about morning glory, I planted some layers of Ipomoea
indica outside at the start of summer, and am getting a fair
number of flowers. Not a lot, but what do you expect?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sheila
writes

Try achimenes

Yes, thats the one, thanks very much!

Hmm I have three ipomea plants that looked very much like that with
the same pale pink flower and growth. Think |i got them from Johnson's
seeds. Well mine are definitely Morning Glories but very very slow
growing and I won't bother next year.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , Sheila
writes

Try achimenes

Yes, thats the one, thanks very much!

Hmm I have three ipomea plants that looked very much like that with
the same pale pink flower and growth. Think |i got them from Johnson's
seeds.

Ipomea flowers are radially symmetrical (ie they look the same as you
rotate them, whichever 'petal' you have at the top, whereas the ones in
the pic were clearly bilaterally symmetrical - they'd look different if
you turned them upside down. So if your ipomeas were like he ones in the
picture, you were probably sold the wrong seed!
--
Kay