Old 25-10-2009, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gel Gel is offline

Default McCulloch Motor Mower-Self Propelled; how to adapt so grass bag canbe changed without stopping engine

Thanks to Euro Health & Safety zealots you can no longer stop a mower
without engine shutting off, when your hand comes off "dead man's
handle".

This means every time you need to change grass box, you have to
restart engine afterwards, each time.
Older models, would just disengage propulsion and stop blade spinning,
but keep engine on tick over.

This is a pain, but I believe some high end Motor Mowers (Honda) have
fix; however I've got this new McCulloch now.
Anyone any suggestions as to how to get round this annoyance that I
assume is on a lot of modern motor mowers?

One possibility I suppose is to fabricate some sort of crade to lift
front end of mower (as it's front wheel propelled) and place front end
of mower in that, so during grass box change, the front end is
elevated, and front wheels will keep turning, but go nowhere, but
blade of course is still rotating.

Thanks
Old 25-10-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gel" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you can devise a method of stopping the blade spinning whilst the
engine remains running,
you would be unwise to attempt to change the box without the engine
stopped.
This should happen automatically in case you forget to apply your devised
method.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 25-10-2009, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Gel" wrote in message
[...]

What used to be called a "clutch" back in the days when I used to design and
develop cultivators and lawnmowers for the old Landmaster company.......
back when I had hair and hips.

vsop

Old 25-10-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gel Gel is offline

Thanks for comments;
main problem is that my wife, when using mower in official manor,
often finds restarting can be far harder when engine's hot than when
it's cold at initial start.

"Gel" wrote in message
[...]

vsop- Hide quoted text -

Old 25-10-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 1:32*pm, Gel wrote:
[...]

I have a mower with what I guess you are referring to as a dead man's
handle.
I simply bought a clip to hold it in place. Blades still run, but with
my machine the grass box lifts out easily and with the engine speed
lowered, there's not quite so much dust and stuff flying out; but
then, it's a very small patch that it has to mow.

Old 25-10-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gel Gel is offline

Ah I remember those, and used to use that regime.

But latest spin is as I have, in that strapping dead man's handle no
longer viable
(thanks Brussels ) as that handle has dual role in controlling
motion and engine
being on or off.

On 25 Oct, 16:23, aquachimp
wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:32*pm, Gel wrote:

[...]

then, it's a very small patch that it has to mow.- Hide quoted text -

Old 25-10-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:08:19 -0700 (PDT), Gel wrote:

main problem is that my wife, when using mower in official manor,
often finds restarting can be far harder when engine's hot than when
it's cold at initial start.

Cure the problem, not treat a symptom.

The engine should start easily when hot if it doesn't then there is
something wrong with it or there is "operator error" in the hot
starting procedure.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-10-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gel" wrote...
[...]

Having lost the top of my finger in a mower you are making me cringe. Turn
it off and make sure the blades have stopped before ever going near the
actual mower bit, accidents do happen, a moments lapse of concentration, a
slip, is all it takes and it may not be you that does it.
The Hospital that put my finger back together told me it's a very common
accident although not as common as Mower Foot. (Gangrene meant I lost the
tip anyway)

I trust you all use steel toecap boots/shoes when using a mower? Saw a young
lady using sandals this summer...frightening when you consider she could
lose a foot and ruin her life.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-10-2009, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 6:17*pm, Gel wrote:
Ah I remember those, and used to use that regime.

But latest spin is as I have, in that strapping dead man's handle no
longer viable
(thanks Brussels ) as that handle has dual role in controlling
motion and engine
being on or off.

Something's wrong there. If as you say you have "motion" then you have
a drive gear. Then by rights it should be separate from the general
motor.

If you look at http://www.lawnmowerreviews.co.uk/mc...ed-lawn-mower/
the 2 handles are easy to see. The yellow, to the front of the main
handle, being the dead-man's handle that can easily be kept in place
with a sort of oversized clothes-peg (for hanging out the washing
with) and the darker coloured handle at the back being the drive
handle.
That said, such a mower is more powerful than mine and so switching
off the mower t as far as eye protection is concerned.

Yes, the Honda ones have a separate gear to disconnect the blade, so
that you don't have debris flying out when the engine is still on.

Old 25-10-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Having lost the top of my finger in a mower you are making me cringe. Turn
it off and make sure the blades have stopped before ever going near the
actual mower bit, accidents do happen, a moments lapse of concentration, a
slip, is all it takes and it may not be you that does it.
The Hospital that put my finger back together told me it's a very common
accident although not as common as Mower Foot. (Gangrene meant I lost the
tip anyway)

I trust you all use steel toecap boots/shoes when using a mower? Saw a
young lady using sandals this summer...frightening when you consider she
could lose a foot and ruin her life.

Yes - you interfere with the safety systems at your peril and it would
appear moreover, your wife's.

I have two ride on mowers. Confusingly, one allows you to dismount without
the engine being stopped,
the other one cuts out the engine on dismount.
But both machines do not allow you to dismount if the blades are revolving.

I would like to convert the latter to the former, but would leave it to a
pro to work out and expedite a safe system.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 25-10-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gel Gel is offline

Some very valid points guys; thanks.

In your experience when you do a hot start, is is necessary to
pump primer couple of times or not?
This engine (Briggs & Stratton) does not have 3 settings as is common
on some units,
or is that just 2 strokes.

Old 25-10-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 7:42*pm, Gel wrote:
Some very valid points guys; thanks.

In your experience when you do a hot start, is is necessary to
pump primer couple of times or not?

No

And by the way, your top posting is an ass.

Old 25-10-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Gel wrote:

In your experience when you do a hot start, is is necessary to
pump primer couple of times or not?

No, you only need to prime when starting from cold and I mean cold.
If it has run for a few tens of seconds it may well be warm enough
not to require priming.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 26-10-2009, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message
I have two ride on mowers.

But both machines do not allow you to dismount if the blades
are revolving.

Wow, what do they do to prevent you dismounting? I have a mental
image of a passenger restraint akin to those on roller
coasters:-)

Mike

Old 26-10-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to Euro Health & Safety zealots you can no longer stop
a mower
without engine shutting off, when your hand comes off "dead
man's
handle".

This means every time you need to change grass box, you have
restart engine afterwards, each time.
Older models, would just disengage propulsion and stop blade
spinning,
but keep engine on tick over.

This is why I opted for the more expensive electric start option
on my
Hayter.

Mike