Old 14-11-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Severe weather warning

On 2009-11-14 17:40:13 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:11:36 -0000, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Granity" wrote in message

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869460']As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are
out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over the
arrow you're interested in.

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Sticking your arm out of the window and holding up a wet finger also works

Not if I'm planning to drive to Exeter it doesn't!

Old 14-11-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Sacha" wrote ...
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Having just seen what they forecast for the very early hours of Monday I
think I'll try to build an Ark on the quick.

Or a spaceship. Not again....... Everything still standing with you,
Bob?

Our Citrus trees keep being blown over such that I've decided if they want
to lay down they can stay there now until this wind dies down. A few
branches fallen off our Robinia pseudoacacia Tortuosa but that's normal for
those, and lots of old leaves around the garden from our Cordylines. Other
than that, I hope, we have survived OK.

Our 19 year old cat has just decided to make an appearance so no more
keyboard for me until she goes back to sleep. She deleted pages of a letter
last week.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-11-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 17:57:35 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Sacha" wrote ...
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Having just seen what they forecast for the very early hours of Monday I
think I'll try to build an Ark on the quick.

Or a spaceship. Not again....... Everything still standing with you,
Bob?

Our Citrus trees keep being blown over such that I've decided if they want
to lay down they can stay there now until this wind dies down. A few
branches fallen off our Robinia pseudoacacia Tortuosa but that's normal for
those, and lots of old leaves around the garden from our Cordylines. Other
than that, I hope, we have survived OK.

When things fall over in the Nursery or garden in pots, we leave them
lying down. The more they get stood up, the more chance of damage when
they fall again.

Our 19 year old cat has just decided to make an appearance so no more
keyboard for me until she goes back to sleep. She deleted pages of a letter
last week.

There's a lot to be said for a dachshund.........I 'll think of
something in a day or two...

Old 14-11-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 17:55:35 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Didn't seem to deter an adventurous soul up our way.

We arrived at the cliff top car park to see him being helped out of the
raging sea - hadn't seen him, just wondered why someone was wading out
and then this person emerged from the waves.

Coastal Patrol turned up (can't afford Coast Guards around here - too
poor) and as we were leaving an ambulance was coming the other way with
all bells and whistles at full bore.

Not sure the ambulance was needed as we had just seen someone who
looked remarkably like the 'victim' run out onto the shingle bar to
retrieve the remains of his wind surfer.

Words fail me but I hope they didn't fail his rescuers.

Still, not the day for extreme sports unless you want to put others at
risk as well as yourself.

I just hope it doesn't trash my olive crop - the smallest were just
starting to turn black.

Cheers

Dave R

Well, that won't be from sunburn. ;-)

Old 14-11-2009, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts"wrote ...
"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Coco's eating now so back to the PC.

A couple of years ago we were up in the Lake District in the winter and
took a drive, in foul weather, to Wast Water because it looks so atmospheric
in those conditions. We were sat in our car looking out across the lake,
blowing hard, big waves, black clouds coming down over the screes, when to
our amazement we saw a wind surfer in the middle of the lake. On his own and
we hadn't seen/didn't see another soul about. Stupid or what.
http://www.thecumbriadirectory.com/C...hp--RegardsBob Hobdenjust W. of London

Old 14-11-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote ...
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Having just seen what they forecast for the very early hours of Monday I
think I'll try to build an Ark on the quick.

....on the quick what, Bob? g

Old 14-11-2009, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Granity" wrote in message

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869460']As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are
out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over the
arrow you're interested in.

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Sticking your arm out of the window and holding up a wet finger also works

Each to his/her own dear) You stick up yours and I will hover me mouse..
innit?

Old 14-11-2009, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts"wrote ...
"Sacha" wrote
[...]

Definitely.. or what)

Old 14-11-2009, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 15:49:31 +0000, "Kathy McIntosh"
said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Ann got a phone call last night - the 4 tons of pig muck we had ordered
would be delivered this morning! Couldn't put him off. Took us 4 hours
to shift it off the roadway onto the plot [all the plots on our field are
fenced due to a large rabbit population], with 2 coffee breaks when the
rain and hail got too much and with help from another plot holder.

Never has a hot bath been soooo good :-}

Now I feel rather small about our one hour without electricity.;-)) Bath
stuff in the Christmas stocking? If you can get it, I highly recommend
Olverum for post-gardening sniffles and aches. It's fabulous. It's also
hideously expensive but 100ml does 20 baths and IMO, is worth every penny.
It's really great stuff for gardeners and anyone shoveling pig muck!
http://www.olverum.com/shop

Thanks Sacha, I've bookmarked it and will email it to my brother later, as a
hint :-}

--
Kathy

Old 14-11-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869460']As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are
out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over the
arrow you're interested in.

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Sticking your arm out of the window and holding up a wet finger also works

Not if I'm planning to drive to Exeter it doesn't!

Try holding up two fingers?

Two easy.

Old 14-11-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 15:49:31 +0000, "Kathy McIntosh" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

If it's a present, tell him to spring for the bigger bottle!

Old 15-11-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Granity" wrote in message

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869460']As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather
warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out
there now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over
the arrow you're interested in.

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Sticking your arm out of the window and holding up a wet finger also
works

Each to his/her own dear) You stick up yours and I will hover me
mouse.. innit?

ROFL
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 16-11-2009, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

I suppose it's too late to train her now, Bob? My cat's aren't allowed to
jump up (except on Hairy Chair), and if they try I just say "Little paws
down" and - lo and behold - little paws retreat to ground level. Works a
treat.

Spider

Old 16-11-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 17:57:35 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

Are they good at shorthand, then?

Spider

Old 16-11-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 17:57:35 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

You watch your step or he'll lick you to death. ;-) He's not known as
Oscar Underfoot for nothing! ;-)