Old 13-11-2009, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Severe weather warning

As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-11-2009, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-13 23:10:11 +0000, Martin said:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:30:47 +0000, Sacha wrote:

As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Force 11 in the Bristol Channel/Lundy.

I can well believe it. It's blowing even harder here and the dog is
protesting at being alone in the kitchen! I have that horrible "what
damage will we find in the morning" feeling. It keeps dying away for a
little and then coming back with a vengeance, just when you think you
can relax.

Old 14-11-2009, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:30:47 +0000, Sacha wrote:

As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Threw it down here last night. Now dry with force 6 southerly. Spring
tides too. Hope nobody is parked on Victoria Avenue!
Old 14-11-2009, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:30:47 +0000, Sacha wrote:

As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Threw it down here last night. Now dry with force 6 southerly. Spring
tides too. Hope nobody is parked on Victoria Avenue!

Lots of wind overnight here (BH22 ). One of our bird feeders has fallen off
the fence, but so far no other damage apart from loose stuff blowing about.
The greenhouse at home is intact, and so far there is no call from the over
the fence neighbour to say anything is amiss at the allotment. We had
lightning at 0315.

Still very windy here though, there may be worse to come. Or not.

Steve

Old 14-11-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 08:56:43 +0000, Derek Turner said:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:30:47 +0000, Sacha wrote:

As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Threw it down here last night. Now dry with force 6 southerly. Spring
tides too. Hope nobody is parked on Victoria Avenue!

Well they won't be if they were - if you see what I mean! There'll be
a lot of washing salt off cars when this is all over. It blew like mad
last night but it seems to be worse, if anything, now. I can't see any
garden damage from our windows but have no intention of going out for a
walk around the place until both wind and rain have abated. The
weather vane is going mad between due south and due west, with just an
occasional gust that sends it off to the east. Ooops and it's just
done a hurl round to the north! We're grateful for the laurel hedge at
the very bottom of the garden but not much protects us from the north
and little from the west.

Old 14-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over the arrow you're interested in.
Old 14-11-2009, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Well this morning, in Windsor, was really sunny, but it has started to rain,
sometimes rather heavily, but it is not the sort of weather which was
forecast.

Alan

Old 14-11-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Ann got a phone call last night - the 4 tons of pig muck we had ordered
would be delivered this morning! Couldn't put him off. Took us 4 hours to
shift it off the roadway onto the plot [all the plots on our field are
fenced due to a large rabbit population], with 2 coffee breaks when the rain
and hail got too much and with help from another plot holder.

Never has a hot bath been soooo good :-}

--
Kathy

Old 14-11-2009, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869460']As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are
out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over the
arrow you're interested in.

Excellent! Thanks for that!

Old 14-11-2009, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Having just seen what they forecast for the very early hours of Monday I
think I'll try to build an Ark on the quick.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-11-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 12:36:46 +0000, Granity
said:

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;869460']As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are
out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

A good site for wind speeds both current and forecast is he
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Just hover your mouse pointer over the
arrow you're interested in.

Thank you. I've book marked that one because it really does seem to
have some local relevance. We now have absolutely zero gale, in fact
the wind has died away completely. What we did have was an hour's
power cut and engineers who drove into our car park, turned round and
drove out again, forgetting, as they do so often, that we have a
transformer of theirs here and that needs their attention. In their
favour, one phone call brought them back quickly and just over one hour
in candle light was really quite pleasant.

Old 14-11-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:40:33 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Having just seen what they forecast for the very early hours of Monday I
think I'll try to build an Ark on the quick.

I can offer you some nice birds-eye maple at three-ha'pence a foot.
Old 14-11-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 15:49:31 +0000, "Kathy McIntosh" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for
the south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there
now.

Ann got a phone call last night - the 4 tons of pig muck we had ordered
would be delivered this morning! Couldn't put him off. Took us 4
hours to shift it off the roadway onto the plot [all the plots on our
field are fenced due to a large rabbit population], with 2 coffee
breaks when the rain and hail got too much and with help from another
plot holder.

Never has a hot bath been soooo good :-}

Now I feel rather small about our one hour without electricity.;-))
Bath stuff in the Christmas stocking? If you can get it, I highly
recommend Olverum for post-gardening sniffles and aches. It's
fabulous. It's also hideously expensive but 100ml does 20 baths and
IMO, is worth every penny. It's really great stuff for gardeners and
anyone shoveling pig muck! http://www.olverum.com/shop

Old 14-11-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-14 16:40:33 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote ...
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Having just seen what they forecast for the very early hours of Monday I
think I'll try to build an Ark on the quick.

Or a spaceship. Not again....... Everything still standing with you, Bob?

Old 14-11-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
As if anyone needs telling....but severe weather warnings are out for the
south and south west. It's not sounding exactly balmy out there now.

Didn't seem to deter an adventurous soul up our way.

We arrived at the cliff top car park to see him being helped out of the
raging sea - hadn't seen him, just wondered why someone was wading out and
then this person emerged from the waves.

Coastal Patrol turned up (can't afford Coast Guards around here - too poor)
and as we were leaving an ambulance was coming the other way with all bells
and whistles at full bore.

Not sure the ambulance was needed as we had just seen someone who looked
remarkably like the 'victim' run out onto the shingle bar to retrieve the
remains of his wind surfer.

Still, not the day for extreme sports unless you want to put others at risk
as well as yourself.

I just hope it doesn't trash my olive crop - the smallest were just starting
to turn black.

Cheers

Dave R