Old 14-11-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to grow garlic...?

Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and
hence don't have a garden. I bought garlic cloves 2 weeks ago and now
they have green shoots. They've been sitting on the kitchen bunker out
of direct sunlight. As an experiment I'd like to grow them. Can I have
advice please?

Thanks in advance.

McKevvy

Old 14-11-2009, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"McKevvy" wrote in message
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and
hence don't have a garden. I bought garlic cloves 2 weeks ago and now
they have green shoots. They've been sitting on the kitchen bunker out
of direct sunlight. As an experiment I'd like to grow them. Can I have
advice please?

Thanks in advance.

I assume that you don't have an outdoor window box, but you have a room with
some sunlight coming into it, put them in a pot with some compost or earth
and see what happens. Don't overwater them, just keep them moist.

If you have an outdoor window box, even better.

s.

Old 14-11-2009, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

McKevvy wrote:
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and
hence don't have a garden. I bought garlic cloves 2 weeks ago and now
they have green shoots. They've been sitting on the kitchen bunker out
of direct sunlight. As an experiment I'd like to grow them. Can I have
advice please?

Worth pointing out - I don't think anyone else has yet - to split the
garlic into individual cloves before planting! It may seem stupid, but
that was the newbie mistake I made the first time!

Old 14-11-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"McKevvy" wrote ...
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and
hence don't have a garden. I bought garlic cloves 2 weeks ago and now
they have green shoots. They've been sitting on the kitchen bunker out
of direct sunlight. As an experiment I'd like to grow them. Can I have
advice please?

I hope you have somewhere outside you can put a pot or twenty, preferably in
full sun.
Get some clay pots, fill with John Innes No3 compost, split the heads of
garlic into cloves and push each clove down into the soil so it's below the
surface. Usually I plant mine out on the allotment at 9 inch spacings both
ways but I doubt you would want about 20 pots with one clove each because
you will probably find you have that many cloves from two heads. Just make
sure there is enough space between the cloves you plant for them to swell up
and become heads.
Keep them watered in the spring and summer and when the leaves start to die
off, probably June/July time, they are ready to dig up. Leave it too long
and they start to split apart ready to grow again.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-11-2009, 03:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"McKevvy" wrote ...
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and

snip
I hope you have somewhere outside you can put a pot or twenty, preferably
in full sun...........................
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

whens the best time to plant these?

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 15-11-2009, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.mc" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"McKevvy" wrote ...
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and

snip
I hope you have somewhere outside you can put a pot or twenty, preferably
in full sun...........................

whens the best time to plant these?

A month ago.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-11-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"p.mc" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"McKevvy" wrote ...
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and

snip
I hope you have somewhere outside you can put a pot or twenty, preferably
in full sun...........................

whens the best time to plant these?

A month ago.

We certainly sometimes planted garlic in late November, or December in
Leeds and it came up fine. I suspect anytime through the winter is
probably ok (depending on the soil maybe)

Alternatively wait to February and plant it then.

--
Chris French

Old 15-11-2009, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

McKevvy wrote:
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so much so that I live in a flat and
hence don't have a garden. I bought garlic cloves 2 weeks ago and now
they have green shoots. They've been sitting on the kitchen bunker out
of direct sunlight. As an experiment I'd like to grow them. Can I have
advice please?

Thanks in advance.

McKevvy

Bought from a supermarket? If so, you may not get a good result, as they
will have been imported from warmer climes and won't be suitable to
overwinter. However, plant now and keep protected from frost. Good luck
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 16-11-2009, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Nov, 13:43, "Pete C" wrote:
McKevvy wrote:
Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so *much so that I live in a flat and
hence don't have a garden. I bought garlic cloves 2 weeks ago and now
they have green shoots. They've been sitting on the kitchen bunker out
of direct sunlight. As an experiment I'd like to grow them. Can I have
advice please?

Thanks in advance.

McKevvy

Bought from a supermarket? If so, you may not get a good result, as they
will have been imported from warmer climes and won't be suitable to
overwinter. However, plant now and keep protected from frost. Good luck
--https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Hi, I think I bought them from a fruit n veg shop I think.

McKevvy

Old 16-11-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Nov, 23:19, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"McKevvy" *wrote ... Hi, I'm a gardening newbie - so *much so that I live in a flat and
[...]

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere outside to place them and I cant
use a window box because of the design of the windows. I can put them
on the kitchen window sill where they will get the morning sun and
it's quite warm there too. Why would I have to use clay pots? Can't I
use plastic?

Many thanks for everyones help - I really appreciate it.

McCKevvy
Old 16-11-2009, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"McKevvy" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

If you intend to grow them inside then plastic pots would be OK however,
"warm" they don't need. Garlic is just about the toughest, hardiest, thing
you can grow and my understanding is that Garlic needs a proper cold spell
to initiate the formation of the cloves otherwise you get just one large
clove only. A cold room windowsill would be better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

garlic is easy to grow! Thomas Hughes Edible Gardening 5 24-02-2012 08:51 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
if you can grow them there yo can grow them anywhere! Jonno[_13_] Australia 0 21-09-2007 01:13 AM
Grow Vertical - Grow an Herb Garden in just 15 inches of space Texas Moon Gardening 0 02-09-2005 03:52 AM
Shade grow vs. Sun Grow Areca Palms Jason Gardening 2 23-04-2004 04:05 AM