Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message

On 2009-12-01 20:18:44 +0000, "David WE Roberts"
said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
However, wasn't today simply lovely?
Wind dropped, sun all day, cold but not unpleasant.
Neighbours out in walking gear obviously off for a nice walk in the sun
but I'm doing heavy construction work in the garden so I spent the day
chasing a wheelbarrow.

Cheers

Dave R

No sun here - grey cloud and that cold look about the place. What are
you building in your garden?

The mother of all sheds :-)

snip

And it is 'light rain showers' today so not wet enough to declare an
enforced holiday but generally miserable.

I bet you stopped work this afternoon though. Didn't it just pour down!

Fortunately today is a 'non-digging' day as I have a small life outside shed
building ;-)
It really hurled it down last night and there are puddles everywhere today.
Still raining, but starting to clear.
Fortunately I have an excuse for this afternoon as well.
Just as well because I an completely knackered.
Barrowing wet soil does not come under the heading of 'gentle exercise'.

Cheers

David

Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Tina writes

Dammit, it was my birthday today ;-) Brrr.
I'm thinking I need an official birthday in June..
Tina

Mine's on Monday!! Gives you two goes at presents or it did when people
remembered them

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
countymayo.j writes
Aaah Janet, Happy Birthday next week my dear, where are my
cuttings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I know postage costs you a huge
amount, please let me send you a cheque to cover it and then you can
send me oodles of them. Remember the last lot you sent me in
England? There was enough to start a garden centre :-)

Well i could probably remember, if I knew who you were
Always happy to share or send cuttings .
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT cheques etc. (was Frost)

In article , Sacha
writes
so I suppose a direct bank transfer will be the obvious outcome.

It will be more cash transactions i would bet. i certainly wouldn't want
a direct bank transfer for some of my small printing jobs, some of my
customers don't know the difference between pdf and GIF so what hope is
there for them to manage direct transfers
Janet
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-04 23:02:04 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article
,
countymayo.j writes
Aaah Janet, Happy Birthday next week my dear, where are my
cuttings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I know postage costs you a huge
amount, please let me send you a cheque to cover it and then you can
send me oodles of them. Remember the last lot you sent me in
England? There was enough to start a garden centre :-)

Well i could probably remember, if I knew who you were
Always happy to share or send cuttings .

It's Judith! She's changed her address and confused everyone. ;-)
--
Sacha

Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-04 23:02:04 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article
,
countymayo.j writes
Aaah Janet, Happy Birthday next week my dear, where are my
cuttings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I know postage costs you a huge
amount, please let me send you a cheque to cover it and then you can
send me oodles of them. Remember the last lot you sent me in
England? There was enough to start a garden centre :-)

Well i could probably remember, if I knew who you were
Always happy to share or send cuttings .

It's Judith! She's changed her address and confused everyone. ;-)

That's not why she changed it. Time for Judith to think of another name. One
that doesn't sound like a salad dressing this time? )

No, I know it's not *why* she changed it but the effect is one of "who
on earth is this?"
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

I'm not sure if my wife knows or cares what the difference is between a pdf and
a GIF, but she has no problem using Internet banking in two languages
neither of
which are her mother tongue.

I sort of take your point Martin but I meant those people that don't use
the Internet or computers very much at all. To them Internet banking
would be beyond the pale, including some of my friends who have very
good brains and are astute at most things but either have no patience or
seem to dig their heels into learning their way around the web!

Janet
Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
.

It's Judith! She's changed her address and confused everyone. ;-)

Ah! Why on earth county Mayo ! was suddenly wrestling with my memory to
think when i had sent plants to Ireland!!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-05 17:39:29 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Sacha
writes
.

It's Judith! She's changed her address and confused everyone. ;-)

Ah! Why on earth county Mayo ! was suddenly wrestling with my memory to
think when i had sent plants to Ireland!!

Judith was born there.
--
Sacha

Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Aries wrote:
Leeks, sprouts, purple sprouting broc and savoy cabbages don't mind the
frost - oh and parsnips too

That's pretty much what we have in. And some stuff like tiny potatoes
called oca that Nick found. They are ... odd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oca

(My neighbour nearly weeded them up when we were on holiday whilst she
was on picking duty!)

We've only dug up half of them so far, only had them roasted - they
taste a bit like pre-vinegarred chips!

And ours are a lot more knobbly than that photo!

Also, we really ought to try and get rid of the damned jerusalem
artichokes some time. I swear I got rid of every tiny little bit last
year, and yet there is a whole bed of them plaguing me again!!

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM