Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost

We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope
it stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's
possible it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't
have a repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's
probably a bit early to know yet!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done
that I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to
hope it stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that
it's possible it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall
didn't/doesn't have a repeat performance of last year's weather
behaviour, though it's probably a bit early to know yet!

Air temperature went down to -3.5deg C here in Oswestry, N Shropshire,
but we are on a bit of a hill so would probably be colder further down.
The lean-to conservatory had it's first real temperature test last
night, temp only went down to 7 deg C. Plants are happy, fuel bills
reduced :-)

Don
Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places.

-8.6C here in the Kyle of Sutherland and still a good cover of snow lying
this morning. Not the first hard frost that we have had this year, already a
couple of nights down to -6C but the heating went on in the greenhouse for
the first time this winter. A different world up here!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
news

here it is - one flowering strawberry plant amongst others planted around
the base of a Camellia shrub.

http://www.copelands.plus.com/wot%20frost.jpg
--

Minus three C. in my Cheshire glasshouse last night.
Zapped the tom plants but leeks and other thickwalled stuff just fine.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com .

Old 01-12-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message
o.uk...

-8.6C here in the Kyle of Sutherland and still a good cover of snow lying
this morning. Not the first hard frost that we have had this year, already
a couple of nights down to -6C but the heating went on in the greenhouse
for the first time this winter. A different world up here!

Polar bears to worry about as well no doubt (-

No respite in the summer IIRC - those bloomin midges and the interminal
mists !
Inspite of all these, I have many happy holiday memories of Arnamurchan.

My usage style down here does not require greenhouse heating.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 01-12-2009, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 12:16:16 +0000, Aries said:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:49:27 +0000, Aries wrote:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:47:17 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope
it stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's
possible it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't
have a repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's
probably a bit early to know yet!

Believe it or not, even after the frost we had here last night, when I went
outside one of the strawberry plants from last Summer was in full flower !
I'll post a piccie later.

here it is - one flowering strawberry plant amongst others planted around
the base of a Camellia shrub.

http://www.copelands.plus.com/wot%20frost.jpg

Oh bless it - brave little thing. ;-) We've had some violets out
here and there and it's a lovely surprise to find them. I'm nursing a
wretched cold atm and haven't been out hunting for them today but Ray
said it was 0C when he went out in the car mid-morning.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 12:50:53 +0000, "Phil Gurr" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places.

-8.6C here in the Kyle of Sutherland and still a good cover of snow lying
this morning. Not the first hard frost that we have had this year, already a
couple of nights down to -6C but the heating went on in the greenhouse for
the first time this winter. A different world up here!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Good heavens, I'll say it's different you hardy soul! It sounds
absolutely perishing.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:28:40 +0000, Sacha wrote:

-8.6C here in the Kyle of Sutherland and still a good cover of

snow
lying this morning.

Good heavens, I'll say it's different you hardy soul! It sounds
absolutely perishing.

-8 is cold but not perishing. -4.6C last night, the little snow we
had on Sunday night is still about in sheltered spots. The fell tops
are well white, the snow line is a few hundred feet higher than us.

Todays max 1.4C bright and crisp lovely. Wind now picking up F5 so
the wind chill is between -10 and -15C, wondering what the
precipitation coming in from the west will be? It'll arrive in about
an hour.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't have a
repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's probably
a bit early to know yet!

Yes, a frost here this morning but I got our citrus in yesterday but looking
at the garden this afternoon I can't see any damage to plants. Arum lilies
(Z. aethiopica) are still looking green and Ok as is our banana (M.
lasiocarpa) which I haven't protected yet, best get that done asap as it
nearly died last year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 15:56:52 +0000, Aries said:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:27:39 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I'm nursing a
wretched cold atm and haven't been out hunting for them today but Ray
said it was 0C when he went out in the car mid-morning.

sorry to hear that - get well soon Sacha

Thanks, Val - it's doing the rounds of the family, as is a tummy bug.
O joy, o rapture! I'm getting a lot of online Christmas shopping done,
though. ;-)

Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 16:23:14 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:28:40 +0000, Sacha wrote:

-8.6C here in the Kyle of Sutherland and still a good cover of

snow
lying this morning.

Good heavens, I'll say it's different you hardy soul! It sounds
absolutely perishing.

-8 is cold but not perishing. -4.6C last night, the little snow we
had on Sunday night is still about in sheltered spots. The fell tops
are well white, the snow line is a few hundred feet higher than us.

Todays max 1.4C bright and crisp lovely. Wind now picking up F5 so
the wind chill is between -10 and -15C, wondering what the
precipitation coming in from the west will be? It'll arrive in about
an hour.

It's perishing to a softie southerner like me, I can tell you! I lived
most of my life in a place that saw frost about once every five years.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't have a
repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's probably
a bit early to know yet!
--

We had -4C here overnight in my part of Leicestershire, the coldest night of
the year so far. Dammit, it was my birthday today ;-) Brrr.

I'm thinking I need an official birthday in June..

Tina

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 16:52:21 +0000, Aries said:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:46:10 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Thanks, Val - it's doing the rounds of the family, as is a tummy bug.

My daughter's family are suffering the same - chesty colds, and tummy bug
We're keeping well away until the all clear!

My cold is courtesy of the grandson who was very poorly and generously
shared his misery with me. Actually, he had bronchitis and as I'm prone
to that, too, I'm kid gloving myself this time! Where the tummy bug
arrived from is a mystery but goodness knows there are enough bugs to
go around at the moment!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-01 19:37:01 +0000, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't have a
repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's probably
a bit early to know yet!
--

We had -4C here overnight in my part of Leicestershire, the coldest night of
the year so far. Dammit, it was my birthday today ;-) Brrr.

I'm thinking I need an official birthday in June..

Tina

Happy birthday, Tina! Mine is in mid January - I can't tell you how I
bless my parents for that.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We had quite a pretty white lawn this morning! No damage was done that
I'm aware of but it was very cold. Cloud cover now so we have to hope it
stays that way from the garden pov. 'They' were saying that it's possible
it went down to -6C in places. I hope Cornwall didn't/doesn't have a
repeat performance of last year's weather behaviour, though it's probably
a bit early to know yet!

:-)

Surprise, surprise, my outdoor tomatoes are still going (just).
We had a bit of an air frost last night but it didn't touch the ground and
the plants are close to a house wall anyway which gives extra protection.
Stupid things are still flowering as well but I don't expect to get any more
fruit.
Really, I'm just leaving them now to see how far into December they survive.
We picked a tray load about 3 weeks ago and they are ripening indoors.
By all accounts the temperature is due to rise again, along with the wind
speed and the rainfall.

Commiserations to the frost hit.
I will start to get jealous when you get significant snow.
It is not something we often see around here, more's the pity.

However, wasn't today simply lovely?
Wind dropped, sun all day, cold but not unpleasant.
Neighbours out in walking gear obviously off for a nice walk in the sun but
I'm doing heavy construction work in the garden so I spent the day chasing a
wheelbarrow.

Cheers

Dave R

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM