Old 12-12-2009, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nerines from seed

I have just gathered some seeds from my Berine Bowdenii. I've
never noticed any before. They range from green to dark pink, and
seem soft and fleshy, but fell off readily into my hand.
Will they be viable?
Has anyone grown Nerines from seed?
Can you advise what I should do with the seed now? Sow them, store
them till spring or what?
TIA for any advice or experience.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-12 13:38:45 +0000, Pam Moore said:

I have just gathered some seeds from my Berine Bowdenii. I've
never noticed any before. They range from green to dark pink, and
seem soft and fleshy, but fell off readily into my hand.
Will they be viable?
Has anyone grown Nerines from seed?
Can you advise what I should do with the seed now? Sow them, store
them till spring or what?
TIA for any advice or experience.

Pam in Bristol

Ray was given some seeds from Nerine sarniensis and grew them on a few
years ago. They took about a year (if his memory is working properly!)
to get to flowering bulb size. He suggests that you store them
somewhere dry until spring and sow them then.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-12-2009, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-12 13:38:45 +0000, Pam Moore said:

I have just gathered some seeds from my Berine Bowdenii. I've
never noticed any before. They range from green to dark pink, and
seem soft and fleshy, but fell off readily into my hand.
Will they be viable?
Has anyone grown Nerines from seed?
Can you advise what I should do with the seed now? Sow them, store
them till spring or what?
TIA for any advice or experience.

Pam in Bristol

Ray was given some seeds from Nerine sarniensis and grew them on a few
years ago. They took about a year (if his memory is working properly!)
to get to flowering bulb size. He suggests that you store them
somewhere dry until spring and sow them then.

Thanks Sacha and please thank Ray too. I can't do better than his
advice!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-12-2009, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-12-12 13:38:45 +0000, Pam Moore said:

I have just gathered some seeds from my Berine Bowdenii. I've
never noticed any before. They range from green to dark pink, and
seem soft and fleshy, but fell off readily into my hand.
Will they be viable?
Has anyone grown Nerines from seed?
Can you advise what I should do with the seed now? Sow them, store
them till spring or what?
TIA for any advice or experience.

Pam in Bristol

Ray was given some seeds from Nerine sarniensis and grew them on a few
years ago. They took about a year (if his memory is working properly!)
to get to flowering bulb size. He suggests that you store them
somewhere dry until spring and sow them then.

Thanks Sacha and please thank Ray too. I can't do better than his
advice!

Pam in Bristol

Good heavens, Pam, he won't get through the door if I tell him that.
Seriously, I will pass on your thanks and hope it all works for you.
;-)

Nerines someone Garden Photos 4 18-11-2007 08:18 PM
seed to seed regions, US vs UK james Gardening 3 11-04-2006 11:37 AM
Moving nerines Chris Hogg United Kingdom 2 21-03-2005 06:13 PM
yellow nerines? Janet Baraclough.. United Kingdom 3 20-05-2004 02:06 AM
maturity of clover seed and trefoil seed? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 02-07-2003 11:10 PM